To Close or Not To Close? with Spinko on the Pub Forum

Circus Tavern, Manchester

86 Portland Street
Manchester
M1 4GX

Reviews of Circus Tavern (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Old Boots left this review about Circus Tavern

Very small very Victorian pub, apart the upholstery and football posters not much has changed, there’s a big screen, Engerland flag and some other 20th century bits. The woodwork, some glasswork and maybe the fireplaces could well be original. Just two pulls on the small quadrant counter , I had an indifferent Tetleys, fortunately just a half. Amazingly there are two “rooms”.

On 13th March 2020 - no rating submitted
[User has posted 2259 recommendations about 2097 pubs]

Rob Hunter left this review about Circus Tavern

This is one of those pubs you have to go in, just to say you have been. My last visit was about five years ago so thought it was about time to refresh my memory and paid a visit last Saturday afternoon. Although the building must be about the same size as the Grey Horse, the Circus feels a lot smaller inside and this must be down to the layout which I assume has not been touched much over the years. The (tiny) bar is straight ahead as you enter, with two rooms to the right, front and back. Two hand pulls for cask ale, offering Tetley Cask and Dizzy Blonde. I went for the Tetley as I could not remember the last time I have had this, suffice to say I won't be in a rush to have it again but it was perfectly drinkable.

It was fairly busy at the time of my visit, though it doesn't take much for a place this size to feel busy. However we managed to grab the other half of someone's table and as we supped our drinks other people came and went so there was a fair turnover of customers meaning you probably wouldn't be waiting for a seat for very long.

The sign outside reads, "The smallest bar in Europe, the biggest welcome" but unfortunately I found the lady serving to be a bit disinterested, though not unfriendly. She was busy talking to her friend who was stood in front of the bar, and anyone who has been here will know there isn't really the room for that on top of two customers being served and someone else trying to squeeze down the corridor.

I can't say I dislike the place but I can't help thinking it trades off its "smallest bar" claim and once you've done it there isn't a great deal to rush back for.

On 16th August 2018 - rating: 6

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Circus Tavern

Tiny two-room pub with the smallest servery you've probably ever seen (just wide enough to accommodate two handpumps and a keg fount) in the wood-panelled entrance corridor. Limited amount of basic seating and some sports and music pictures on the walls. Two real ales on offer: Robinson's Dizzy Blonde and Tetley Cask (£3.50). Oddly good.

On 18th February 2018 - rating: 7

View more reviews of Circus Tavern (13)
External web links for Circus Tavern

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Alan Hurdle
Manchester Oxford Road, 0.37 miles, 7 min walk (show)
Manchester Piccadilly, 0.52 miles, 9 min walk (show)
Deansgate, 0.66 miles, 12 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Circus Tavern, Manchester
13th Mar 2020, 12:46
Review submitted by Old Boots

29th Jun 2019, 12:53
Picture submitted by Wynne Route approved

• Real Ale : Yes last updated 23 September 2011 by hondo .