Beer of the Week (w/e 21st January 2018) with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

King William IV

816 High Road Leyton
E10
E10 6AE

Reviews of King William IV (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Aqualung . left this review about King William IV

Latest news.
The word is that this has been sold to Real Pubs for 3 million quid.

Review based on visits Dec 2015
Having made three recent visits and others previous to the last review things have been looking up. One of the ex Hopcraft brewers is doing the beer now and the Jamaican Stout, Superior Porter, Californian and Mocha Stout have been revived and a Black APA & Piccadilly bitter added. There are also occasional appearances on cask of the three main keykeg IPAs. There are usually half a dozen or more Brodie's beers on offer.
The sport and Saturday night music are a pain but the rear room makes for a refuge. The prices have increased a lot but are still reasonable for London.
Score upped to 8.

Visit May 2015

I returned here last Saturday to find nine Brodie's beers on and not a guest ale in sight. The Old Street and Jamaican Stout were very good so things seem to be looking up, this is what a brewery tap should be like. I'll be back again to have a look and have upped the score to 7 from 5 hoping it will increase again. The only down side was that there was a boring boxing match on the big screen but the back room was fine.

Visit June 2012

I visited last night to find what to me is a new brew on as well as the mighty 12% Romanov Stout. The new brew is Simcoe Pale and is another very pale beer with high bitterness. Sadly, after two of these and a Romanov Stout they both ran out.

Purely for comparison purposes I tried the Key Keg Romanov Stout (they now have 10 of these Key fonts).This was my first pint of a "Keg" beer since I gave up playing darts nearly 15 years ago. It certainly wasn't gassy and wasn't like the horrible "smooth" keg beers that came into fashion in the nineties. It seemed a bit sweeter than the hand pumped version, but that may have been either because it was a different batch or due to dry hopping which presumably can't be done with the Key Keg.

One of our party also tried the Key Hackney Red and Dalston Black which I had a taste of and they seemed fine.

So how does this system work? I believe (and I may be completely wrong here) that it's a bit like having a polypin of filtered beer that is squashed to force the beer out. I also believe that they are plastic rather than metal and thus are non-returnable, which given the cost of metal casks and kegs being stolen must be an advantage.

If the £3.20 price tag was nearer the £2.35 hand pumped price, then I would consider trying it again, but generally if there is something good on hand pump then I will always go for that.

Visit April 2012

I popped in here this afternoon for a few bevies and I have bad and good news to report.

The bad news is that the prices have gone up (what a surprise).

The good news is that there is now a blanket price of £2.35 for Brodie’s beers, which for the weaker ones compares well with Wetherspoons and for 5% ABV plus represents excellent value. Another salient point is that (certainly on this occasion) you don’t get served short measures.

I tried the Old Street IPA, the Hoxton Special IPA and the London Porter, all of which were crystal clear, fresh and in great condition. The beer lines in this pub are kept scrupulously clean, unlike many pubs I’ve been to. If the pipes are clean and there is a good turn around on the beers, then let’s face it, the beer is going to be good. Serving good beer is not rocket science, just a lot of hard work.

The Brodie’s landmark beer style seems to be extremely pale beers of various strengths with masses of hops, something that suits me down to the ground.

Anyone who drank Boddingtons bitter pre 1980 or Hop Back beers in the mid to late 80s will get the picture. The Old Street and Hoxton were excellent examples of this beer style.

There were 7 Brodie’s and 5 guests on offer. The guests consisted of 3 Rudgates and 2 Skinners, all around the 3.5% to 4.5% mark. They all seemed a bit familiar and to be honest a bit boring. I would rather try the lower ABV Brodie’s that I never seem to get around to than these.

I repeat what I said before, why this place isn’t GBG listed escapes me completely.

On 26th December 2017 - rating: 8

Rex Rattus left this review about King William IV

Having read previous posts, we half expected to be disappointed with the ale selection, but were pleasantly surprised by the range on offer. Unfortunately the stout had finished, but there was a mild on, as well Bethnal Green Bitter (excellent value at £3 a pint), Rhymney Hobby Horse, Brodie's Shoreditch Sunshine, Old Street Pale, and a stonking 5.8% brown ale. We were well satisfied with that selection. I didn't see any sign of food at Wednesday lunchtime.

The pub has been well described by others. The bizarrely shaped original Victorian bar counter is still there, as is the collection of photos and prints on the walls, musical instruments hanging from the ceiling, bar billiards and dartboard, etc, etc. One of our number was enthusiastic about the ancient clocking in clock on one of the walls (some of my friends have strange hobbies!).

Having all enjoyed pints of the excellent Bethnal Green Bitter, we then bought five halves of other beers in order to have a mini beer sampling session. We thought that was a good idea.

We really enjoyed our extended stay in this pub, and all agreed that it was a pub desrving of a revisit.

On 27th October 2017 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about King William IV

We popped in here on a Monday afternoon, so the pub was very quiet, this gave us a good opportunity to see how big this corner pub actually is. After choosing our beers, we decided to settle in the large rear lounge, which was bright and sunny thanks to the original Victorian glass roof gallery. There was a choice of 9 ales on our visit, with the majority of them being pale ales, so I went for the Brewers Gold Pale Ale, which hit the spot. Also tried and tasted, Brodies Bramling Cross and Minstrel Pale Ale. The barman was upbeat and up for a bit of laugh, which was also an added bonus on our visit.

On 18th February 2016 - rating: 8

View more reviews of King William IV (17)
This pub features in the following crawls:
2 fests and the rest by train man
East 17 by Bucking Fastard
External web links for King William IV

Map location corrected by Will Larter
Pub location
Latest updates View all updates for King William IV, E10
26th Dec 2017, 22:17
Review submitted by Aqualung . amended by Aqualung .

27th Oct 2017, 12:43
Review submitted by Rex Rattus

• Accommodation : Yes last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Bar Billiards : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Festivals : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Garden : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 26 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Car Park : No last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Child Friendly : Yes last updated 26 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Darts : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 26 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Function Room : No last updated 26 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Jukebox : No last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Karaoke : No last updated 26 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Live Music : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Live TV Sports : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Micropub : No last updated 26 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Pinball : No last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Pool Table : No last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Quiz Night : No last updated 26 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Real Cider : No - They have done it in the past - last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Wheelchair Access : No last updated 26 December 2017 by Aqualung .
  • WiFi : Yes last updated 26 December 2017 by Aqualung .
Food Hygiene Rating