Random news of the day with Wittenden on the Pub Forum

SW15
SW15 4HL
Phone: 02087881997

Tweets by The Angel
The Angel Roehampton The Angel Roehampton We've moved - but only in the virtual world - you can now find us on the webby net at https://t.co/LElhfsI8LZ… https://t.co/IohVHdYIdH 9:43 AM Jun 23rd from Twitter Web App
View the full twitter feed for The Angel Roehampton

Reviews of The Angel (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rex Rattus left this review about The Angel

I paid a return visit to this pub yesterday, and I'm glad to say that I found it unchanged from my previous visit. I entered via the Saloon Bar to see three unclipped pumps on the bar counter - always a worrying sight. But a pump in the Public Bar was dishing out Young's Bitter - in fact the only ale on - which turned out to be in excellent nick. It's now gone up to £3.10 a pint, but that's still a reasonable price for the London area. This remains a local drinkers' pub - it couldn't be more of a contrast to the sumptious King's Head next door. I'd be happy to visit again.

On 2nd January 2013 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about The Angel

This is a very basic Young’s house, with only Bitter (at £2.80 a pint) on during my Saturday lunchtime visit. But it was a decent, and very welcome, pint on a warm day. There was no food on – not even any crisps or nuts, which is most unusual for any pub. Delivery problems, I suppose. But there is a caff a couple of doors away that does takeaway sandwiches, and in some other pubs that don’t do food they’ve suggested that you pop out and bring a sarny back. It might be worth their while doing something like that here – I might have stayed for a second pint had I been able to get a bite to eat.
Anyway, the pub is still essentially a two-room affair, with the saloon and public bars connected by a short corridor, and with a small raised area off the saloon bar containing a couple of tables and chairs as well as a dartboard. The saloon bar’s carpeted; the public bar’s not. That’s very traditional. Furnishings are normal tables and chairs, but for some reason just inside the saloon bar entrance there’s a tall chunky table with a couple of tall upholstered benches. It looks a bit out of place to me, especially in a traditional pub like this, but I don’t much like the things in any case. Wall decor is old photos and miscellaneous prints; there was some radio station on mainly playing pop music; and the inevitable flatscreen TV was muted and tuned to Sky Sports. There was also a sign on display declaring that children aren’t permitted in the saloon bar; so, probably best to give the public bar a miss then. There are a handful of picnic benches in a small enclosed area just outside the public bar entrance. This is a pretty ordinary and unpretentious pub – I quite liked it and would be happy to have it as my local if I lived in Roehampton. Of course it is the only pub in the immediate vicinity. I have to say that I do rather like the pub sign – I wonder who modelled for it?

On 1st August 2010 - rating: 6

john mcgraw left this review about The Angel

If you like your pubs rough and ready this is the pub for you.2 old fashioned bars selling Youngs beers.Down to earth staff & locals.Due for a re-furb next month.

On 17th January 2008 - rating: 8
[User has posted 2044 recommendations about 2025 pubs]

External web links for The Angel

Map location corrected by Rex Rattus
Putney, 1.45 miles, 27 min walk (show)
Barnes, 1.56 miles, 30 min walk (show)
Barnes Bridge, 2.31 miles, 44 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Angel, SW15