I like Black Sheep Beer and I am proud of it! with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

SE1 9NY
Phone: 02074019222

Pub Type

Fuller's

Reviews of The Mad Hatter (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve C left this review about The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter is a large Fuller’s run pub with traditional décor that includes snugs and plenty of mirrors. During my recent weekday visit there was some background music playing and I didn’t spot any televisions for airing such things as football. Standard and premium keg is available from the bar that also supports the full Fullers cask ale range. Food is available all day and the doors open at 07:00 during the week and 08:00 at the weekend for the breakfast crowd. I found the service to be polite and as a fan of Fullers I would have no problem returning.

On 1st February 2017 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about The Mad Hatter

This is a Fuller's pub with the full range of core beers on - ESB, London Pride, Oliver's Island, Seafarers, with what must be a guest ale of Adnam's Ghost Ship. But the real surprise was seeing Vintage Ale on handpump, which in the past I've only seen available in bottles. Having passed up the opportunity of sampling St Austell's 7.2% Big Job hop bomb on the only occasion on which I saw it on handpump, I wasn't going to make the same mistake again. These sort of opportunities are meant to be seized when they arise. I normally regard £4.50 a pint as a bit over the top, but that price for this 8.5% monster seems good value. Being a Fuller's pub they obviously do food, but I didn't look at a menu.

The pub itself is Fuller's faux antique with modern replica Victorian glass and woodwork. But it's comfortable enough, being carpeted and furnished with banquettes and normal tables and chairs, plus a few booths along the wall on the right. There are TVs of course, but one unusual piece of decor was the variety of hats in glass cases on the wall by the booths..

It does have a bit of the hotel lounge look about it, but I suppose that's fair enough as it is also a hotel. This is a pub that I've visited many times in the past, although not in the past ten years, and it's not changed in any appreciable way that I can see. There's nothing wrong with a bit of stability. I would certainly visit again given the opportunity, especially if I thought there might be a chance of getting my hands on some draught Vintage Ale again.

On 2nd October 2016 - rating: 7

Steve of N21 left this review about The Mad Hatter

A fairly large (internally) Fullers Ale and Pie establishment which has been well described by previous reviewers. For my early evening weekday visit it was strangely very quiet, especially when compared to those pubs by the river which were absolutely rammed as it was a fine evening. I can only imagine that the fact that there is a lot of building work going on around this pub at the moment with parts of it under scaffolding, and the fact that it has no garden space that I could see had something to do with it.
London Pride, ESB, Oliver's Island and Seafarers were the four available brews around the pumps and my pint of Oliver’s Island was pleasant enough as was the generous portion of pork scratchings served in a metal tub..
Also no problems to get served here unlike the next pub, the nearby Founders Arms by the waterside where it took me 15 minutes to get a beer and if I hadn’t been meeting others I would have cut my losses an turned tail and headed back here.

On 22nd August 2016 - rating: 7

View more reviews of The Mad Hatter (11)
External web links for The Mad Hatter

Map location corrected by Steve C
London Waterloo, 0.6 miles, 11 min walk (show)
City Thameslink, 0.65 miles, 12 min walk (show)
London Blackfriars, 2.32 miles, 44 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Mad Hatter, SE1

Wednesday7am - 11pm
Thursday7am - 11pm
Friday7am - 11pm
Saturday8am - 11pm
Hours according to Facebook page, please check before making a special visit