Beer of the Week (w/e 16th June 2019) with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

The Crown & Cushion, Lambeth, SE1

133 Westminster Bridge Road
SE1
SE1 7HR

Reviews of The Crown & Cushion (Average Rating: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve C left this review about The Crown & Cushion

The Crown and Cushion is an Irish pub with an English, Tao and Thai menu that can be eaten in or collected. The traditional Victorian décor is somewhat hidden behind lots of Irish paraphernalia, but the old school boozer atmosphere is not lost. I counted two plasma screens that were airing horse racing and I noted the presence of a dartboard, although there was a rather large table on the oche. Upstairs is a function room and the free Wi-Fi passcode was on the wall for all to use. I found the landlady to be very friendly and it is always reassuring to find yourself standing next to a vicar whilst supping at the bar. Available from the bar was a standard keg range and surprisingly for an Irish pub there were three hand pumps. These were drawing Greene King’s Old Speckled Hen, IPA and Santa’s Goliath Sack… titter! As Irish pubs go I thought this place was OK.

On 1st February 2017 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about The Crown & Cushion

Having travelled via Waterloo Station for so many years, I found it most strange that I had never before visited this pub. It seems to be little, if any, changed from previous reviewers' visits. The black eagle on the exterior (now gold painted) identify it as an ex Truman's pub. But there's nothing inside of Truman heritage as far as I could see. The Irish influence is very strong - there are Guinness mirrors, adverts, and bunting all over the place, some Irish place names atre displayed, and I even detected Irish accents. The said Guinness adverts were the ancient wooden bas relief type, one even featuring the iconic toucan. I'm not sure what the "Rotherhithe Street" street name was doing there, but to be sure there was all manner of bric a brac around the place.

There were a couple of TVs on, one muted and showing some cricket, with the other somewhat inevitably showing the horse racing. Furnishings seemed mainly to be wooden settles.

Three handpumps were clipped for GK IPA, Old Speckled Hen, and Sharp's Cornish Coaster. When I was charged £3.10 for a pint of Cornish Coaster I wondered if I had misheard the barman/guv'nor - but he accepted the £3.10 I proffered so I guess I didn't and it really was such a reasonable price. But unfortunately it came up rank and undrinkable, although it was readily exchanged for a pint of GK IPA. Shame - if I had known I was going to end up with GK IPA I would probably have opted for a half. Food was available - I didnt see a menu but it smelled like Thai.

Surprisingly this struck me as a real drinkers' local just round the corner from Waterloo Station. I would give it another go, on the assumption that I was just unlucky to get such a dodgy pint. To the guv'nor's credit, when I returned the pint he immediately reversed the clip, but maybe he suspected that it was about to go off.

On 2nd September 2016 - rating: 6

Philip Carter left this review about The Crown & Cushion

I always use this pub when in the area, usually on visits to St Thomas's hospital. Luckily none of the visits are drink related. Lots of wood every where. Lots of Irish memorabillia. Upstairs is a Thai kitchen, not sure if there is seating up there, but you can order downstairs and the food will come to your table. Update, there must be seating upstairs as a group of 8 has just come down. I could have adjusted my earlier words but couldn't be bothered.

On 7th July 2016 - rating: 9

View more reviews of The Crown & Cushion (9)
External web links for The Crown & Cushion

Map location corrected by Tris C
London Waterloo, 0.54 miles, 10 min walk (show)
Elephant & Castle, 0.89 miles, 17 min walk (show)
London Charing Cross, 0.94 miles, 18 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Crown & Cushion, SE1
27th Dec 2018, 11:10
Picture submitted by peter ashworth deleted by owner

6th May 2018, 08:39
Picture submitted by peter ashworth approved

• Beer Garden : Yes last updated 06 September 2009 by hondo .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 02 September 2016 by Rex Rattus
  • Live Music : Yes last updated 06 September 2009 by hondo .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 02 September 2016 by Rex Rattus