Pub Of The Month - July 2020 with oldboots on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Thursday, 10th September 2009

The Marquess Tavern, Canonbury, N1

32 Canonbury Street
N1
N1 2TB
Phone: 02073542975

Reviews of The Marquess Tavern (Average Rating: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

custodian 42 left this review about The Marquess Tavern

Imposing Young's pub with their usual ale selection. One room with bar in the centre. Seats out front and a beer garden to the rear, with a giraffe in its midst. Not a real one, I hasten to add!

On 24th June 2018 - rating: 4

Malden man left this review about The Marquess Tavern

This is a magnificent looking pub which stands deliberately alone and taller than the remaining housing of the same age in this pleasant part of Canonbury. In common with other buildings in the immediate area, unusually several windows are either false or have been bricked up. As the window tax was repealed in I believe 1851 this doesn't stack up so I intend to try and find out why.
I entered with some trepidation having read a review below, lights on, but no signs of life around 2pm on Wednesday. I snooped about a bit then suddenly a young woman with dyed purple hair glided silently into view from the other side of the pub. I stepped to the bar and she then asked if I was only in for a drink. Well I was so said so but my proposed pint had already been reduced to a half as I recalculated. Was this Tris C's barmaid/owner, who knows? No one else was in.
Inside there is a sort of island bar, the front area is better both sides, the rear has an overly ostentatious area with peculiar dangling lights, a model giraffe statue, a large rooflight and garishly coloured cornices and pilasters.
I settled in an armchair to the front corner with my half of Young's Special (£2.20) while the bar lady suspiciously continued her essential pub jobs now in my vicinity instead of at the rear. Opposite my seat a wooden chair with arms is affixed to the wall with a statement in memory of obviously a former customer, nice touch if they have "retired" his favourite chair. Beyond here is a small separate snug-like area then again a garden.
A lovely building, sadly without the interior reflecting the exterior. Hopefully I was being paranoid but I don't know, if ownership still remains private, the Ram Pubco signage and Young's badging remains.

On 25th January 2018 - rating: 5

Tris C left this review about The Marquess Tavern

A return visit since our first, documented below.
We were accosted by a young landlady who treated us as if we were a bad smell, asking us if we wanted drinks and that the 'pub' offered table service, as if ordering a drink without food is a capital crime. She retreated behind the bar and pulled me the shortest pint I've ever seen, with probably more than an inch of head. Having grudgingly told us that we could sit at the coffee table round the back (several large tables were available, late evening mind), we obediently took out place to the stygian rear, social lepers that we were made to feel.
I've never been treated so shabbily in a pub before (The Warrington, W9 comes close) and am seriously considering writing a letter of complaint to the manager - a first. I won't be going back here again until it undergoes a change of management, and the now much improved Canonbury Tavern renders a visit here otiose.

21st April 2016.

A first in this imposing pub, formerly Young's but recently sold to a local collective. This is no longer the downmarket boozer which I used to pass - and demur from entering. Clearly it's had an upmarket refit which gives the gastro appearance, though I wouldn't really describe it as a gastropub. It's still a boozer, albeit an upmarket one and preferable to the Canonbury not far from here.
There's muted music and some soft upholstered furnishings. The barman was friendly enough and ales on were: two unused pumps which was a shame, thereafter Young's Bitter and Special at £4.15 a pint which is fair for the area.

I'd come here again if passing as the garden appeals but I wouldn't make a detour. A couple of extra and interesting ales may act as an incentive though...

On 4th June 2016 - rating: 1

View more reviews of The Marquess Tavern (6)
External web links for The Marquess Tavern

Map location corrected by Steve C
Essex Road, 0.23 miles, 4 min walk (show)
Canonbury, 0.42 miles, 8 min walk (show)
Highbury & Islington, 0.61 miles, 11 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Marquess Tavern, N1

• Bar Billiards : No last updated 21 April 2016 by Tris C
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 04 June 2016 by Tris C
  • Beer Garden : Yes last updated 24 June 2014 by Rex Rattus
  • Car Park : No last updated 21 April 2016 by Tris C
  • Child Friendly : Yes - Baby-changing facilities. - last updated 21 April 2016 by Tris C
  • Darts : No last updated 21 April 2016 by Tris C
  • Micropub : No last updated 21 April 2016 by Tris C
  • Pinball : No last updated 21 April 2016 by Tris C
  • Pool Table : No last updated 21 April 2016 by Tris C
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 21 April 2016 by Tris C
  • Wheelchair Access : No - WCs up/downstairs. - last updated 21 April 2016 by Tris C