Yet another list with oldboots on the Pub Forum

King Charles I, Kings Cross, N1

55 Northdown Street
N1
N1 9BL

Reviews of King Charles I (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Malden man left this review about King Charles I

A pub I have attempted to visit on several occasions but always foundered by finding it closed. Hours are now regularised, generally opening at 12 from Monday to Saturday. I'm glad I got in, liked it a lot, a small single room with a curved walnut looking bar on the back wall, boarded floor, nicotine yellow ceiling and beams and a piano in one corner with an amp above plus a wall mounted guitar. Flyers suggest they have live music events. Antelope heads plus a pair of antlers over a fireplace, a musket sits above the door to the gents. Decent stained wood panelling and doors and various mirrors including a Guinness version give a timeless and traditional feel. Seating is at pews, benches and regular chairs, no pretentious nonsense in here, a top rate pub with a convivial atmosphere.

On 12th March 2017 - rating: 8

Tris C left this review about King Charles I

Passed on many an occasion, I was under the impression that this was some sort of scummy Oirish-themed locals' pub. How wrong I was: it really is quite a charming little boozer with a very mixed and civilised crowd. Décor is eclectic with some bric-a-brac and taxidermy. There's a real fire, the pub is bare boarded and seating comes in the form of pews and traditional furniture and there are no TVs to attract the football hooligans (Halifax Town FC were on the prowl) who predate on local pubs, given their proximity to King's Cross and St. Pancras railway stations.
The ale front could be improved with Greene King's Abbot, Hanlon's Port Stout, a spare pump and XT3's IPA at a very reasonable £1.85 a half and very nice it was too.
On the downside, the pub was in the process of being rigged up for some sort of live music event. This is a tiny pub: if I want live music, I'll go to the 02 centre or Wembley, thank you very much; I don't want a pleasant and convivial atmosphere ruined by some beard with a Marshall amp, a fake Stratocaster and a tenuous grasp of the intro to Smoke on the Water.
On the plus side, I gather that the pub has a strict 'no children' policy, which is a blessing and one which more pubs should adopt. Bar billiards has also gone, giving drinkers more space.

On 23rd May 2016 - rating: 6

Steve C left this review about King Charles I

The King Charles I is a tiny little no frills boozer that has seen better days. During my Monday afternoon visit there was some background music playing off the jukebox and the handful of middle aged men present were glancing at BBC news that was muted, but subtitle, on a flat screen TV. Being quiet I was able to sit at the bar in this pub where there is more standing room than seating space. The opening times for this pub are midday except on Sundays when the doors do not open until 15:00.

Premium draught products were available from the bar that also supports four hand pumps. One of these was unused leaving Hanlon’s Nice Tackle, Truman’s Bold as Brass and Cottage Brewing Company’s Golden Ale as the cask options. Food is not available here.

I found the service to be very friendly and I would pop back in if passing, but this isn’t the sort of place I would take the wife.

On 12th October 2015 - rating: 6

View more reviews of King Charles I (15)
This pub features in the following crawls:
London crawl - March 2010 by Gill Smith
External web links for King Charles I

Map location corrected by Philip Carter
London Kings Cross, 0.35 miles, 6 min walk (show)
London St Pancras International, 0.53 miles, 10 min walk (show)
London St Pancras International, 0.53 miles, 10 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for King Charles I, N1
12th Mar 2017, 10:12
Picture submitted by Malden man approved

12th Mar 2017, 10:07
Picture submitted by Malden man

• Accommodation : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 23 May 2016 by Tris C
  • Beer Garden : No - Limited pavement seating. - last updated 23 May 2016 by Tris C
  • Car Park : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Child Friendly : No last updated 23 May 2016 by Tris C
  • Darts : No last updated 12 October 2015 by Steve C
  • Hot Food : No - You can bring your own and they provide cutlery etc - last updated 12 October 2015 by Steve C
  • Jukebox : Yes last updated 01 October 2015 by hondo .
  • Karaoke : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Live Music : Yes last updated 23 May 2016 by Tris C
  • Live TV Sports : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Micropub : No last updated 12 October 2015 by Steve C
  • Pinball : No last updated 23 May 2016 by Tris C
  • Pool Table : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 01 October 2015 by hondo .