New pub visits 2022 with ROBCamra on the Pub Forum

Image posted by peter ashworth
Submitted on Sunday, 29th August 2021

Cask, Pimlico, SW1

6 Charlwood Street
SW1
SW1V 2EE
Phone: 02076307225

Tweets by Cask
CASK Pub & Kitchen CASK Pub & Kitchen We are pouring this NOW! ✨ 12:06 PM May 13th from Twitter for iPhone
View the full twitter feed for CASK Pub & Kitchen

Reviews of Cask (Average Rating: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Graham Coombs left this review about Cask

A modern beer exhibition pub, amply described in previous reviews. There are some 20 assorted handpump and keg taps, along with one of the most varied selection of bottles in town. On draught on this visit were Thornbridge Market Porter, Marble Mild, Siren Broken Dream, Redwood Mad Squirrel and Resolution Cosmic - particularly pleasing to have 3 dark beers available. As mentioned, the prices go up to ludicrous for the more esoteric brews, but the cask was mainly £5.40 a pint which is not out of kilter with what other pubs in the area charge for much inferior beer.

On 6th April 2022 - rating: 8

Blue Scrumpy left this review about Cask

I remember coming here when it was the Pimlico Tram. I returned shortly after it opened as the Cask, possibly in 2009 and found this to be a groundbreaking venture at the time.

As time passed, my tastes veered more towards real ale, for which there were many better pubs around London. Prices for the craft beer here far exceeded what I was willing to pay. I'm sure I've been back since 2009, but possibly only once.

Fast forward to a Friday evening in March 2022 and my tastes have ventured slightly more into the craft beer market and being in town for a show nearby, the Cask seemed like the best place locally for a few drinks. However, my taste in beer and cider is not the only thing that has changed since 2009. This time, I had my 9-year-old son with me and I noticed that the CAMRA website stated that children are only allowed until 5pm.

Arriving just before 5pm, I did enquire about children and was met with a quizzical look from the barman. There didn't seem to be any limit in reality. As such, with a burger and a few lemonades, I doubt very much that anybody noticed his presence in the corner!

We arrived to find a fairly quiet bar. It's much more modern looking than in its Pimlico Tram days. The single barman was very knowledgeable and helpful with my beer selection. He was also pro-actively warning customers of any high prices for each of the beers, which was much appreciated, as whilst I don't mind trying some of the latest craft beers, prices can still be quite a shock.

6 cask ales were available. It appeared that they must have had some kind of Fyne Ales takeover at some point. 3 of their ales were on - Highlander, I Am A Mountain & I Am The Sea were all on, with a 4th clip (possibly Avalanche) turned round. Other cask ales were Acorn Barnsley Bitter & Old Moor Porter & Salopian Mellon Dream.

The craft beer range still dominates here. If you can't find something unusual you haven't tried on draft, you're sure to find something in bottles in the fridges. On the pumps were Westbrook Mexican Cake (which went off before I could try it), Barrier Money, Mure Rullquin, Overtone Emerald Shore, Brick Redcurrant & Blackberry Sour, Burning Sky West Coast Blues, Orbit Dead Wax, Yonder Upside Down, Mondo Dennis Hopp'r, Old Street Infinite Bliss & Rothaus Wheat Beer. The fizzy cider was Lilley's Star Gazer.

With 3 rounds and 3 burgers, I'd soon spent £100. But I quite enjoyed the different beers I had, some of which were in double percentages, and the burger was actually reasonable value by London standards.

Whilst we were there, the pub began to fill up dramatically. By the time we were ready to leave, all tables were taken and it was standing room only. Extra staff had appeared to help the original barman, keeping up their efficiency of service. At the same time, the atmosphere grew, making the evening a very pleasurable experience.

All in all, it proved to be a good way of preparing me for the prospect of a musical at the nearby Apollo Theatre. I doubt I'll leave it so long before paying a return visit next time.

On 16th March 2022 - rating: 7

Tris C left this review about Cask

Yeaaaahhh. The reviews below say it all. However, myself and three friends paid a visit here a couple of days ago and due to lack of space, had to sit outside on the pavement which is becoming increasingly more chilly. Service has been slowed somewhat in pubs due to the current crisis, but a 20-minute wait to get served is pushing things a bit too far.
Cask stocks 10 cask ales, which were pretty much all sampled by the four of us. As expected, the condition was great. I stuck to the Fyne Ales' Pebble Beach (£5.20 a pint) which was ok but is brewed with a type of hop that gives a slightly artificial Parma Violet taste, which my friend likened to bubble gum. His pint - name forgotten - tasted like Hophead which had been watered down. A pint of porter ordered by another friend tasted like a porter, but I'd not have ordered a pint of the stuff as I don't really like it, not having had it since my last visit to the Orange Brewery pub down the road from here back in 1999. And the Smog City's Quercus Circus Sour tasted, well...sour, like a beer that has gone off.
The other issue I have with the place, though it hardly came as a surprise, is that it's not really what I call a *pub*, lacking typical features such as a log fire or thatched roof; it looks a bit like a departure lounge.
I appreciate that this business has been built up by someone with a passion for quality beer, but I really don't go for beers that are somewhat avant garde - I'd have killed for a pint of Marble's Manchester Bitter or Blue Bee's Hillfoot Best.
Nice chips though...

On 2nd October 2020 - rating: 5

View more reviews of Cask (29)
This pub features in the following crawls:
London crawl - March 2010 by Gill Smith
External web links for Cask

Map location corrected by Steve C
London Victoria, 0.53 miles, 10 min walk (show)
London Victoria, 0.53 miles, 10 min walk (show)
Vauxhall, 0.95 miles, 18 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Cask, SW1

• Child Friendly : Yes last updated 16 March 2022 by Blue Scrumpy
  • Dog Friendly : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 16 March 2022 by Blue Scrumpy
  • Karaoke : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Live Music : Yes - 4.30 - 7.30 pm Sundays. - last updated 02 October 2020 by Tris C
  • Live TV Sports : No last updated 02 October 2020 by Tris C
  • Micropub : No last updated 02 October 2020 by Tris C
  • Pinball : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Pool Table : No last updated 28 September 2013 by Quinno _
  • Quiz Night : No last updated 02 October 2020 by Tris C
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 09 February 2010 by Quinno _
  • Real Cider : No last updated 16 March 2022 by Blue Scrumpy
  • Wheelchair Access : No - WCs downstairs. - last updated 02 October 2020 by Tris C