20 questions with ROBCamra on the Pub Forum

Mr Fogg's Tavern, Covent Garden, WC2

58 St. Martins Lane
WC2
WC2N 4EA

Reviews of Mr Fogg's Tavern (Average Rating: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Blackthorn _ left this review about Mr Fogg's Tavern

A prominent street corner pub, it has recently undergone a refurbishment and re-opened under a different name. It is run by the same team behind a few others bars around the capital, most seeming to be a little on the quirky side including one in a disused underground station. The pub is split in to two consisting of a more regular pub downstairs which was very busy on a recent Friday evening visit and a gin bar upstairs.

We opted for the upstairs gin bar, and this is where it starts to get a bit quirky. Access is via a closed door, and on knocking we were asked by a rather odd gentleman if we had an invitation. As we didn’t, we then got asked if we had a pocket watch. Eventually after some further discussion we were admitted and met by another gentleman who was clearly continuing the Alice in Wonderland theme being dressed in a Mad Hatter’s outfit. He then introduced us to the mixologist who explained that they currently had around 270 gins on offer but were looking to expand this. After some discussion as to our likes and preferences, four surprisingly different G&T’s were rustled up, with the ice cubes being hewn by hand from a single large block. Various combinations of botanicals were also added including star anise and peppercorns. To be fair to the guy, he did seem to know what he was talking about, and as I had said that I normally drink cider he used a gin that was made with cider apples and even had a slice of apple in it rather than the more usual lemon, lime or cucumber.

Décor wise it’s suitably quirky with something of an old gentleman’s club feel to it including a stuffed deer’s head and old pictures on the wall. At £48.95 for four G&T’s it’s certainly not the cheapest place, but if you like your gin and fancy something rather different, then give it a go. I'm glad we did.

On 26th January 2016 - rating: 7

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Mr Fogg's Tavern

The former Angel & Crown has recently reopened as a Victorian-style tavern, full of wacky ephemera and costumed bar / table-service staff (in full performance mode in Spanish Mockney accents) but not much room left for tables or customers... The upstairs has apparently now been converted into 'Aunt Gertrude's gin parlour & salon'. Seven beers indicated on 'Fanny's chalk board', dispensed from ten keg taps on the bar-back and two more on fake casks. Opted for Mr Fogg's Pale Ale (£4.50) which annoyingly came in metal tankard. All a bit odd (which I suppose is the point...).

On 21st November 2015 - rating: 6

Real Ale Ray left this review about Angel & Crown

A comfortable little pub this one and we did stay a bit longer than anticipated. We stayed slightly longer as the beer quality was excellent. There were four handpumps in operation, I enjoyed the Sambrooks Jugged Hare, whilst Mrs A went for Windsor and Eton. The pub was spotlessly clean and the staff were friendly and chatty. So all in all, I would pop in again.

On 20th January 2014 - rating: 7

View more reviews of Mr Fogg's Tavern (10)
External web links for Mr Fogg's Tavern

Map location corrected by Rex Rattus
London Charing Cross, 0.33 miles, 6 min walk (show)
London Waterloo, 1.12 miles, 21 min walk (show)
London Blackfriars, 1.99 miles, 38 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for Mr Fogg's Tavern, WC2
20th Jul 2019, 12:02
Picture submitted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off approved

20th Jul 2019, 10:54