Beer of the Week (w/e 21st January 2018) with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

The Great Northern

63 Bute Street
Luton
LU1 2EY

Reviews of The Great Northern (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Great Northern

Described as a "little gem" on Camra's inventory of historic pub interiors, this is a proper locals pub. There are three hand pumps, but at the time of my visit two were in operation, serving the regular beers, Sharps Doom Bar and St Austell Tribute. The third pump had another Tribute pump clip turned around. This seems to be the most popular beer here, and was in superb condition - I saw several apparent regulars drinking it too.

The smell alluded to in a previous review must have been a one-off, as there was no problem when I was here, unless you count the woman sat at the bar counter smoking an e-cigarette, whose vapour reminded me of joss sticks. I called in twice, once on my way to the match, and once for a celebratory pint on the way home. It was lively and vibrant on both occasions, a really good atmosphere: "home fans only", says the notice on the window.

On 24th September 2017 - rating: 6
[User has posted 1914 recommendations about 1835 pubs]

Ian Mapp left this review about The Great Northern

Now, I can only report things as I find them but there was an overbearing smell of urine as soon as we opened the door. Enough to a) make you eyes water and b) wonder how anyone could put up with it. Totally overpowering.

Mrs M was not impressed that I had taken her CAMRA pub ticking.

Having visited the loos - I can confirm the smell wasn't coming from there. It was nicer in there than the bar.

Did put a dent (well I had to put up with some serious glaring from Mrs M) in an other wise fine trip to a piece of history.

On 15th April 2017 - rating: 7

Quinno _ left this review about The Great Northern

A weird little Irish pub that nonetheless had a token ale (St Austell Tribute on Tuesday) which came out well and was gratifyingly cheap (less than £2.50 I think). It’s a pretty small, basic place with some nice original green Victorian half-length wall tiling running round the seating area as well as an original arched window at the front. The modern bar top was at odds with the rest of the décor but I liked it. The table I sat at had a glass holder added to each corner, which I haven’t seen before. Dominoes and crib were available. The clientele and music both came with a best before date of 1967, though they were perfectly friendly when I asked the way onwards to the Bricklayers.

Not really one I’d recommend for a special visit but there’s enough positives to make it a worthwhile joker stop on a crawl, especially due to its close proximity to the station.

On 27th January 2012 - rating: 6

View more reviews of The Great Northern (6)
External web links for The Great Northern

Map location is best guess
Pub location