Wetherspoon's news of the day with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

Colchester
CO3 3BZ

Reviews of The Fat Cat (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Fat Cat

Nicely done alehouse, altered at some stage to leave a 'L'-shaped bar and two further seating areas (with the one leading to the toilets located up a couple of steps at the back). All as traditional as one might expect, although the six handpumps are a distraction (at least for most of the time) since beers are generally served on gravity from the cool-room stillages. Eight interesting cask ales were available when I visited, with the Bishop Nick Brewery's Heresy (£3.70) being in fine form.

On 2nd January 2020 - rating: 8

E TA left this review about The Fat Cat

Previously The Royal, The Fat Cat (the sign hanging outside is annotated 'Free Mouse') has matured into an excellent local pub with 8 ales on gravity feed. It has the feel of a cross between a micro and a traditional town local. There is a good bar menu and they run regular curry nights as well as a take-away curry service. The staff are dedicated and hardworking, but maybe not as welcoming as they could be. The locals were very much more welcoming, friendly and chatty. The décor is basic: bare brick, bare floorboards, minimal clutter on the walls and plain paint on what wood panneling remains. The building has been extended to the rear and now occupies almost the whole plot, leaving a tiny shred of garden as an outside terrace. The extension isn't terribly sympathetic to the original Victorian building – anachronistic beams, for example – but that doesn't detract from the pub's operation. The from bar is mainly for vertical drinkers though there are a few bar stools for the less steady, while the back bar in the extension has tables and pew seating. An outstanding pub which makes an essential addition to a crawl and one I shall certainly visit next time I'm in the area.

On 26th June 2014 - rating: 9

Pub SignMan left this review about The Fat Cat

I popped in here prior to AFC Bournemouth's Friday evening match against Colchester (partly because there is a bus to the stadium that leaves from outside) and had high expectations for my first visit to a Fat Cat pub.
The interior is L-shaped, with a few seats at the front, a relatively narrow strip down the side, and a more open area with additional seating to the rear. The walls were wood panelled and there wasn't really a lot of interest on display, which left it feeling a bit cold and impersonal. The staff were pretty friendly and I got chatting to some of the locals who seemed like a decent bunch, but I got the impression that it was only the football crowd generating any kind of atmosphere and that once the match-day bus departed, the pub would be a bit lifeless.
There were 5 ales on hand pull, with a sixth pump displaying a turned clip. Crouch Vale Brewer's Gold, Woodfordes Wherry, Sharp's Doom Bar, Nethergate Sweeney Todd and one other were complimented by a further selection available from the tap room, but to my shame I only spotted the tap room about ten minutes before I had to leave, so I don't know how many beers were on offer from there. My Brewer's Gold was in pretty good shape and my companions enjoyed pints of a Belgian lager, the name of which I neglected to record, with Leffe also available on tap.
This has the makings of a great pub, but I found it was lacking in atmosphere and character. Having said that, it's clearly a real ale destination pub and for that reason alone, I'm sure this won't be the last time I visit.

On 27th January 2011 - rating: 7

View more reviews of The Fat Cat (8)
This pub features in the following crawls:
Colchester Crawl by Pub SignMan
External web links for The Fat Cat

Map location corrected by Just a quick pint, then I'm off
Colchester Town, 0.61 miles, 11 min walk (show)
Colchester, 1.22 miles, 23 min walk (show)
Hythe (Essex), 1.68 miles, 32 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Fat Cat, Colchester
2nd Jan 2020, 22:35
Picture submitted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off approved

2nd Jan 2020, 22:35
Picture submitted by Just a quick pint, then I'm off approved

• Real Ale : Yes last updated 24 August 2010 by hondo .