Yet another list with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

The Ship Inn, Rye Town, Rye

The Strand
Rye
TN31 7DB

Reviews of The Ship Inn (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Old Blue left this review about Ship Inn

The Ship is said to have been built in 1592, originally as a warehouse to store goods seized from smugglers. It has quite a lot of character, and has different areas evidently intended to support more or less casual drinking and/or dining. The three hand pumps on our visit offered Harvey’s, Rother Valley Honey Fuzz and Old Dairy Blue Top, and I had a decent pint of the last of these.
It was fairly quiet on our visit, with a couple of people drinking at the bar and a few others dotted about the place. It took an astonishingly long time for the staff who didn’t seem to be doing anything in particular to realise that the two of us whom they’d just seen walk in and approach the bar might actually want serving. And there wasn’t much sign of anyone eating there either. I suspect this place isn’t really making much effort as a pub or a restaurant, but is relying heavily on letting its rooms above. Which is a shame, because it could be a really good venue.

On 11th March 2012 - rating: 5

Steve C left this review about Ship Inn

This place is certainly more restaurant than pub and although the food that the wife and I had was fantastic, the service was just plain rude. I think that it is perfectly acceptable to walk into a pub, as this place advertises itself to be, and sit down at a table and then go to the bar to order some beer and ask for a menu. If we'd have known that it was going to be such a mission to get fed we would have walked straight out. I think that I was meant to sit and get table service as every time I went to the bar I had to wait for the barman to finish making drinks even though I was the only one standing there. This made me a little confused as it was almost 45 minutes before the waiter came over and only then because I collared him.

Harvey's Best and Rother Valley's Honey Fuzz were on and there was also a selection of premium and standard lagers. There is a dartboard up on the wall with tables and chairs set out on the oche so an impromptu game was not on the cards. There was also a strange mix of music coming from the speakers and I was surprised to hear drum and bass in the surroundings I was in.

I don’t plan on returning here.

On 26th March 2009 - rating: 6

Manky Badger left this review about Ship Inn

It's not a pub. It's a restaurant. Reviewed as a restaurant it would do better, but as a pub, 5/10 is the best it will get.

On 10th November 2007 - rating: 5

External web links for The Ship Inn

Map location corrected by Old Blue
Rye, 0.26 miles, 4 min walk (show)
Winchelsea, 2.27 miles, 43 min walk (show)
Doleham, 7.64 miles, 2 hr 27 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Ship Inn, Rye