Beer of the Week (w/e 15th Decenber 2019) with ROBCamra on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Sunday, 25th February 2007
With picture contributions to 20921 other pubs

The Pilot Inn, Meads, Eastbourne

89 Meads Street
Eastbourne
BN20 7RW

Reviews of The Pilot Inn (Average Rating: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve C left this review about The Pilot Inn

I’m really not sure about this place as at first glance it seems to be a run down pub that could do with some serious TLC, but looking a bit deeper it is actually a reasonable local. Sure, I wouldn’t go out of my way to drink here and the correlation between the food and the pricing is way off, but I was served a decent pint of Guinness by a friendly woman and the locals all seemed harmless enough as they listened to some students jamming on the Thursday evening I visited three weeks ago. The jamming session night is actually advertised as a Wednesday so I came to the conclusion that this is a pub that is proud to have live music in any form and have no problem with people just turning up and playing, but probably not after 20:30 on a Tuesday when the quiz is in progress. Karaoke was also advertised for the upcoming Saturday night, but I’m not sure if this is a weekly thing or a little more sporadic. I counted three TV screens of varying sizes, but these were all off and the only sign in the window was advising readers that this is a music pub, so no sign of Sky Sports.

Along with the standard draught products there are also six hand pumps, but unfortunately only Bombardier and Harveys Best were available during my visit and I got the feeling that they are the only two ales that are ever on. The bar area is essentially L shaped with a few nautical pictures and photos on the walls and towards the rear there is a small dining type area that leads to a nice sized beer garden. There are also a couple of picnic tables on the path outside the front of the pub, but I think that these are more for the smoking locals.

Like I said, I wouldn’t go out of my way to drink here again, but may have used it if I was a local.

On 23rd November 2010 - rating: 6

Svetlozar Vasilev left this review about The Pilot Inn

The best pub ever!
I was in Eastbourne on a 2-week teacher training course in the summer of 2004 and was staying with Mr and Mrs Coleman at 25 Carlton Road. The best landlords ever! They showed me The Pilot Inn as a place where I can have some rest in my strolls along the seaside and enjoy the best english ale in the region. I still can't forget the "bombardier" brand I tasted there. Two things impressed me most - the books swap shelf they've got there and the quizz nights they organise!
The staff is very friendly (especially the owners daughter - Derek's granddaughter ;),though Derek told me to watch out for the barman cause he might be in some gayish behaviuor sometimes ;).
So believe me - this is the best pub in Eastbourne!!!

On 24th June 2007 - rating: 10

External web links for The Pilot Inn

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Steve C
Eastbourne, 1.56 miles, 30 min walk (show)
Hampden Park (Sussex), 3.6 miles, 1 hr 9 min walk (show)
Polegate, 5.74 miles, 1 hr 50 min walk (show)
Latest updates View all updates for The Pilot Inn, Eastbourne