New server with AlanH on the Pub Forum

Hand In Hand

33 Upper St James's Street
Brighton
BN2 1JN

Reviews of Hand In Hand (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about Hand In Hand

We'd been unimpressed on our previous visit (November 2014) as there was no atmosphere and not much beer choice, but this appears to have been subsequent to the demise of Kemptown brewery, based at the pub, and the start up of its replacement, Hand Brew Co, so maybe we caught it at a bad time. On my recent visit there were three of their beers on the bar, together with Harveys Sussex Best, Brighton Bier West Pier and a cider.

It was well busy at the time of my New Year visit, and my arrival coincided with that of a large Christmas Pudding, which meant it took me a while to get anyone to serve me a beer. The bearer of the pudding informed anyone who would listen that it had been steeped in brandy for 18 months, to the extent that I began to form the opinion that she'd been similarly treated herself. The pudding was eventually doused in more brandy, set on fire and then served with brandy cream. The barmaid commented, "you can taste the brandy". Good grief. I drank up and beat a hasty retreat. I'd quite like to visit this pub when it's neither a morgue nor a bedlam, but I suspect that it doesn't do ordinary.

Date of visit: 1st January 2017

On 20th January 2017 - rating: 6

hondo . left this review about Hand In Hand

Corner pub with a quirky interior that has various curios and the walls and ceiling covered with pictures,jugs and ties. 5 real ales.

On 15th October 2015 - no rating submitted

moby duck left this review about Hand In Hand

Very much like Steve below , my kind of boozer, even smaller than I was expecting,some Kemptown beers were on but I opted for 360 degrees West Coast IPA,very good,the interior is the same as described by Pubsignman a couple of years ago, there was some very interesting eclectic and ethnicy music playing at a decent level. Not overly busy at the time of my visit but a good sprinkling of punters,it won't take many to fill this place.A very good pub.

On 13th July 2014 - rating: 8

View more reviews of Hand In Hand (10)
This pub features in the following crawls:
A wander around Kemptown by Steve C
External web links for Hand In Hand

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Steve C
Pub location
Latest updates View all updates for Hand In Hand, Brighton
20th Jan 2017, 14:56
Review submitted by Will Larter

4th Jan 2017, 18:14
Picture submitted by Will Larter approved

• Child Friendly : Yes - until 18.00 - last updated 19 July 2014 by moby duck
  • Dog Friendly : Yes - Not after 7pm Sundays - last updated 15 October 2015 by hondo .
  • Hot Food : Yes - Lunchtimes, delivered from nearby cafe - last updated 19 July 2014 by moby duck
  • Live Music : Yes last updated 19 July 2014 by moby duck
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 15 October 2015 by hondo .
  • Real Cider : Yes last updated 19 July 2014 by moby duck