Beer of the Week (w/e 24th October 2021) with aleandhearty on the Pub Forum

Sheffield
S1 4BJ

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Moby Duck left this review about Perch Brewhouse

It was dark when I got to this place and didn't immediatly find it easy to spot, there was no obvious outside signage, I have since learnt there is a hanging birdcage high above the door, a bit cryptic and not easy to see in the dark especially when for some reason I had Perch the fish in my mind! Anyhow I spotted an open doorway with a side door just beyond with light and noise emmiting from it, bingo. It was quite lively verging on the raucous once I was inside but this in turn gave the place a great vibe. There are ten Handpumps along the bar but like Will found before me just four were in action. I had a Dead Parrot Norwegian Blue, this is The Dead Parrot Brewery Taproom and a first for me from this brewer and I found the beer to be quite decent and well cared for. I did note at the time the keg range was suprisingly middle of the road but that didn't affect me in any shape or form.
A nice setup here and I quite liked it here.

On 19th September 2021 - rating: 7

Will Larter left this review about Perch Brewhouse

The latest project of local pub man Mark Simmonite, formerly of the Museum in Orchard Square and then Henry's in what is now the redeveloped city retail area. Having been given less notice than promised to quit those premises, he was able to agree a lease on this building in double quick time and move everything out of Henry's, which (last time I looked) has still not been demolished or redeveloped three years later. Being unable to trade during the pandemic didn't help, but Mark and his family have done a grand job on this former workshop space. The bar, which includes Mark's beer mat collection under a resin surface, has 10 hand pumps and a similar number of keg taps from mostly mainstream brewers like Camden, Goose Island and Guinness. Just four real ales on (it was opening night) but these are planned to go up to the full complement, with fresh beer going on the bar on Thursdays and a “four for £10” offer in the early part of the week. Main attraction is intended to be a takeaway pizza and burger service which will be up and running in the next couple of weeks. Beers will be from Dead Parrot Brewery plus whatever swaps they get in exchange.

The big workshop windows make this an attractively lit space, and there is a yard at the back with a few seats. For a new venture, there is a surprisingly finished look to the interior, with the lack of lighting for the hand pumps the only criticism I could make. I hope to be back before long and find it doing well.

On 27th August 2021 - rating: 7