Random news of the day with Spinko on the Pub Forum

Dukes, Halifax

Pub added by aleand hearty
16-18 Russell Arcade, Market Street
Halifax
HX1 1TJ

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Quinno _ left this review about Dukes

Another modern bar in another arcade, seemingly a Halifax speciality. Very yoof-oriented; vivid pink, white and turquoise décor with low-grade American pop-punk playing too loudly given the time of day. The bar and some perch seating are fashioned from pine sheeting. Five pumps with three on, all from LHG. My Pale was one of those haze beers (inevitably) and in that context it was kept competently (NBSS 3.5), priced at £2.40 a half which seemed pretty steep and served-up by a polite barmaid. Usual array of craftykeg and a cider. Cashless, of course. Of amusement value (to me, at least) was the fact that of the three customers, precisely zero were of the type they were aiming for – me the trad ale drinker and two loud lager-drinking lads. Not my kind of place but worth looking-in if you’re new to the town.

On 25th June 2022 - rating: 6

ROB Camra left this review about Dukes

A micropub within a Victorian arcade just off Market Street. It appears to once having been retail units. The bar is in the left hand area and there is some comfy seating to the right. Upstairs are some high tables and chairs, along with the toilets. Very bright inside with turquoise and orange walls. We were greeted by friendly, chatty bar staff and chose our drinks from the range of cask ales on the 3 handpumps. My pint was in excellent nick. If we hadn't needed to catch a train, we would definitely have stayed for another one.

On 20th April 2022 - rating: 8