Beer of the Week (w/e 9th August 2020) with Wittenden on the Pub Forum

Postal town: Woking
GU24 8AA

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

E TA left this review about Horse & Groom

As described by Moby, below, this fairly standard micro is new. I went in by accident, having intended to go into the Sun, opposite, which turned out to be closed. A serendipitous event meaning I could have a chat with Moby over a pint. Ales on were Thurston Small IPA, Thames-side Egyptian Goose, Hogsback Surrey Nirvana, Hogstar Lager, Hepworth Conquerer Stout, Tutts Clump and the ciders (Berkshire Diamond and some traditional farmhouse cider), and perry (Disruption Battle Royale) already mentioned. As I was driving I just had the one, the Small IPA, which was in excellent condition. The landlord, a former carpenter, was friendly and welcoming, and I wish him every success in this new venture. I for one shall certainly return, and I wonder who else will pop up in there.

On 30th July 2020 - rating: 7

Moby Duck left this review about Horse & Groom

New Micropub now open as of June 14th, after being delayed by Covid-19.On Chobham high street opposite The Sun Inn, It was formerly a hairdressers but there once was a pub called The Horse & Groom on the same location that closed sixty years ago. A rather clever mock traffic light outside the pub door indicated whether there was room inside , green was ok ,red full up. Inside is a basic but quite traditional pub looking single room with the addition of a very small astro-turfed outside area to the rear. There was just one slightly familiar looking punter already in the pub when I got there shortly after opening time, It soon dawned on me it was fellow PuG pub travelling scribe ETA, having found the pub by chance when passing thus pipping me to the post, It was good to meet and have a chat which after all is the purpose of these places as well as having a pint or two.
There are three handpumps , two for ale and one for Cider, five keg taps , I think, which were for craft beer with more Cider and Perry available from the box, all beers including the keg stuff were all £4.00 a pint, quite reasonable for the area. Unusually in these pandemic times it was cash only, though I'm not sure that will be permanent. The landlord was chatty and welcoming and by the time I left there were four or five other customers in evidence, leading to a good atmosphere. A very good effort this one.

On 26th July 2020 - rating: 7