Yet another list with RealAleRobUK on the Pub Forum

The Dragon's Tap, Rotherham

Pub added by peter ashworth
477 Herringthorpe Valley Road
Rotherham
S65 3AD

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Dragon's Tap

We called in here on a planned trip to tick off all of Rotherham's micropubs, having just come from Brinsworth's Stop Inn Time on the bus. This one is a bit of a contrast, the rather larger premises being less welcoming (especially when you're the only customers). OK, it was a quiet Tuesday afternoon, but the man behind the bar didn't make any effort to engage us in conversation after serving us, but went back to doing something more important on his laptop. Add to this the distinct smell of bleach pervading the air and my critical hackles were rising.

On the bar are six hand pumps, plus a similar number of keg fonts and some ciders in polypins. If the owner, if such he was, had been the chatty type I might have asked how he got on with keeping so many real ales, because the beers we tried (see photos for details) were a little underwhelming. I went for the two out of the six on offer that I hadn't drunk before (St Austell Trelawny and JW Lees True Faith), and wasn't impressed with either of them. It's got to be said that a smell of bleach makes it difficult to smell or taste anything else, so maybe this rather than the condition of the beer was the main reason why we didn't enjoy this so much as the previous micropub.

Date of visit: 1st October 2019