New pub visits 2022 with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

SW8
SW11 8AB

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Blue Scrumpy left this review about Battersea Brewery Tap Room

With the (relatively) nearby Mason's Arms closed due to "unforeseen circumstances", my next stop in a crawl of South West London pubs was this brewery taproom inside some railway arches under the tracks from Victoria.

As taprooms go, this one felt modern. But it lacked customers and therefore atmosphere. Just one other customer was present on a Thursday afternoon.

There are a couple of handpulls, which were both clipped with Battersea Paddy Whack and Citra & Simcoe Pale. The craft beer choice is wider - Battersea Swagger Like Us, Lyrical Genius, Eye of your Mind, Redneck Agenda, Back to Black, Delirium on Helium & Complicated Illusions & Yeastie Boys Bigmouth.

Staff were friendly, but looked a bit bored. Toilets were certainly clean. The mild was ok, but looked and tasted more like a pale ale than a mild.

On 17th December 2021 - rating: 5

john gray left this review about Battersea Brewery Tap Room

I visited on a cold and windy night in January and this area was pretty bleak but come the summer it would be a nice place for a drink.Industrial style but I like it.Impressive array of brewing tanks.Friendly staff and I thought above average beers.Cask and keg from Battersea with a few guests

On 11th October 2019 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about Battersea Brewery Tap Room

This is a relatively new brewery and taproom in the new Battersea Power station development. As is the case with so many of these places, it's in a railway arch. The brewery itself is in one arch, and the taproom in the adjoining one. The arch is larger than many other arches housing brewery taprooms, and in fact I've been in many smaller pubs. There's a horseshoe bar counter on the right; in front of it by the large plate glass windows is a large dull copper-topped table with normal chairs and some picnic bench style seating. To the left are a few tall table tables and tall stools crammed in that look pretty awful, having that "made from scaffolding" look. At the back are a few more tables and chairs, and at the front in the pedestrian lane is a fair bit of outside seating. The arch is tall enough inside that there's room for a smallish mezzanine level with a bit more seating.

Another first for me in a pub. I thought that the penny farthing bicycle in the outside seating area was a nice decorative touch, until some bloke got on it and rode away.

As is often the case now, this place has a greater emphasis on keg ("craft") beers rather than real ale. However, they do have a couple of handpumps, one of which was clipped for Battersea XPA (£4 a pint) when I arrived. Unfortunately it went off immediately, but was immediately replaced with another of their beers (forgotten its name), a brown 4.2% seesion ale also at £4 a pint. I tried a couple of their keg offerings - Battersea IPA (5.9% or so at £5.50 a pint, and their Scotch Ale at 6% and £5.60 a pint. The also sold "paddles" of beer at £9 a time, giving you four halves of beer - two of my companions went for one of these, allowing the barman to choose for them, and they got some of the more expensive beers included, such as the Scotch Ale. They did food, but not a large menu. The favourite seemed to be cheese toasties at £4 a go.

Although I'm not a great fan of drinking in brick built tunnels containing ugly tall tables and tall stools, against all the odds I quite liked this place. The friendly and knowledgable (on his beer anyway!) barman made it seem a pleasant experience, and I enjoyed all the beers I tried, including the keg ones. As we all know, there is keg and there is keg, and some are a quantum leap better than others. This place only sells the better ones. I found that thinking ahead helps by buying your keg beer at least half an hour before you want to drink it to allow it to warm up a bit. I guess some afficionados of this style of beer might think me very strange for doing that - they're probably right!

On 8th May 2019 - rating: 6