2020 Spring crawl: Preston on Friday, 17th April with Bucking Fastard on the Pub Forum

The Peer Hat, Manchester Central, Manchester

Pub added by Rob Hunter
14-16 Faraday Street
Manchester
M1 1BE

Al Bundy left this review about The Peer Hat

I didn't mind this place at all. Seems to be a musical place due to the vinyl records on show as you walk in. It seemed to veer towards the long haired yeti Led Zeppelin crowd today (bless them). So if overblown cock-rock is your bag. A Half Man Half Biscuit poster was a bonus though. And if you take a marker pen you can add your scrawl to the shite that's scribbled all over the toilet walls and doors.

On 5th October 2019 - no rating submitted

ROB Camra left this review about The Peer Hat

Has the feel of a locals local, but slap bang in the city centre. Loads of assorted bric-a-brac (aka tat) all over the place. They do have a few vinyl records in one area that are for sale. Very friendly and chatty staff. There are 4 handpumps, one always has Marstons 61 Deep on it, the others are changing guests, Cromarty Happy Chappy and 2 from Kirkstall on my visit. No live music during my visit, so chatting was easy. Personally I'd be happy to call in again.

On 27th March 2019 - rating: 7

Rob Hunter left this review about Peer Hat

Visited on Saturday evening for the first time, and to be honest I found it a bit strange. It feels like a locals' estate pub that has been picked up and dropped in the middle of town. That, crossed with a hippy drop in centre running an illegal rave downstairs. To me it seemed a bit weird, with customers to match.

Beer wise there were four hand pulls, one of which was off, the others offering Marstons 61 Deep, California Golden Ale, Saltaire New World, plus a couple of craft keg options on the fonts alongside some of the more mainstream stuff (eg Guinness).

Live music events operate downstairs, the stairway to which is in the centre of the main bar. At the risk of sounding old this was really loud, to the point that you could feel the beat vibrating through the floor, and when somebody went in or out of the basement music den it was actually deafening upstairs, so I dread to think what it would have felt like down there.

Still, the place was reasonably busy and just because it wasn't quite my cup of tea doesn't mean everyone else will feel the same. I wasn't that taken by my drink of New World, but we had had a couple of stronger flavoured drinks in other pubs beforehand so I think it just struggled to compete against those, and is probably no reflection on the beer itself or the venue's keeping of it.

I don't regret trying this pub, but for me it's not one to plan a return visit to.

On 16th October 2018 - rating: 6