Random news of the day with hondo on the Pub Forum

Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room, Manchester

Pub added by Rob Hunter
Unit 9, Piccadilly Trading Estate
Manchester
M1 2NP

Rob Hunter left this review about Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room

Further to my previous review, I revisited on Saturday evening and it is pretty much the same as before with the exception that there is a single cask ale available in the downstairs merchandise room. This can either be consumed down there (so long as you are seated) or brought up to the main bar.

This cask ale is put on fresh on a Friday and is available until it runs out. On Saturday this was "What Do The Numbers Say?" which was a 3.8% pale ale and for the rather reasonable price of £3.50 a pint (or was it £3.80?).

Currently Track have a pop-up bar in the downstairs room, although this is believed to be temporary.

On 18th November 2019 - rating: 7

Rob Hunter left this review about Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room

This wasn't quite as drab and bland as I was expecting from ROB Camra's description, so either they have spruced the place up a bit or perhaps it looked worse for being empty on his visit. No such issue last night when we went, it was fairly busy but we were able to get a seat, this being a Saturday evening just before 7pm.

Indeed no cask here, which is strange as Cloudwater do brew cask beers and the tap room is open regularly enough that turnover should not be an issue. I counted 20 taps behind the bar.

It does lack the cosiness of the old brewery tap at the barrel store but at the end of the day this is an industrial unit I suppose. It was OK. Would I consider it worth the walk just to come here? Probably not. Would I come back if was in the area? Quite possibly.

On 17th March 2019 - rating: 7

ROB Camra left this review about Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room

A bare and very basic 1st floor brewery tap. I called in about 40 minutes after opening on a Friday and it was dead. There's no cask ale here, they only sell their keg. A "serving" is now £3.50, which means that I was charged a rip off £3.50 for a 2/3rds glass of 2.8% beer. They don't take cash either, so it was lucky that I had a card with me. Some of these beer geeks must be loaded! There's a load of barrels in storage visible on the ground floor. There's no other decoration and nothing to see here in my opinion. Won't be bothering walking out here to get robbed.

On 26th February 2019 - rating: 3

Real Ale Ray left this review about Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room

We met one of the Head Brewers from Cloudwater in the Olde Vic in Stockport and he explained how easy it was to get here, and I have to say it was very straightforward. The unit had a couple of security guys on the entrance door on our arrival, well it was a Saturday eve. They guided us to the bar area upstairs and explained all the transactions for beer were on plastic only.
The place was quite busy on our arrival and a bit of patience is required at the bar, as the majority of the customers, including ourselves, do need to get a sample before purchasing, as this is an expensive brewery tap.
We went for a couple of pale beers which set us back £5.25 for a half and a 2/3. The next round was an IPL cashmere and an excellent porter, which was again a half and a 2/3 glass, and this set us back £9. The view from the bar looking down into the beer secondary fermentation area was interesting, with oak casks stacked four high. The music that was playing was very hip and the unisex toilets were even more bizarre, as there was some sort of self awareness, meditation track playing. This is a beer connoisseur's sort of place and a one off visit was good enough for me.

On 26th October 2018 - rating: 7

Rob Hunter left this review about Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room

I hope I don't get lynched for proposing a brewery tap is added to the site, however since moving premises and extending their opening times I would suggest it definitely has a place on here now, and is perhaps open more regularly than some pubs!

Current opening hours (from their web site):
Monday—Friday 3pm—10pm