Beer of the Week (w/e 19th January 2020) with ROBCamra on the Pub Forum

Postal town: Manchester
M41 9AB

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Rob Hunter left this review about Barking Dog

A fairly new addition to the Urmston pub scene, the Barking Dog is in the old Post Office building. Some interesting features remain such as security doors. Five hand pumps at the bar dispensing four real ales plus one cider. Their house beer, Barking Dog Gold, is a regular fixture plus a rotating selection from such breweries as Blackjack, Tiny Rebel, Brightside, Redwillow and Outstanding. When I have visited there have usually been bitters, pale ales and an occasional IPA. It would be nice to see a porter or stout thrown in the mix too. The real ale is on the higher end of the scale for the area in terms of price; my first visit I seem to recall was £3.65 or £3.75 a pint and unless I am mistaken my most recent visit set me back over £4 for a pint. CAMRA discount gets you 35p off a pint though, which I think is a fairly generous discount. The food in here is pretty nice, there is a selection of pies on offer plus sharing platters and sandwiches etc. They apparently do a Sunday dinner pie topped with a Yorkshire pudding, but I have not been on a Sunday to test that out. From what I have heard, it gets busy. Definitely worth a look if you are in Urmston.

On 4th January 2018 - rating: 8