How Will Pubs Open? with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

Green Lane
Sheffield
S3 8SE

Gill Smith left this review about Stew & Oyster

Great bar as part of the Green Lane development around Kelham Island. On the real ale route between Milestone and Kelham Island Tavern and worth a look in. Very modern inside with a variety of seating. 6 ales on the bar - 2 from Heritage, one from Sheffield, 2 from Kirkstall and Theakston Best. We chose the 2 Heritage beers and the house Kirkstall, all in good condition. There was a breakfast menu, and an interesting lunch menu that was tempting so for £6.95 I enjoyed the beef and beer from the stew menu. Served in a hotpot with a big wedge of chunky bread and some butter it went down very well. With a lot of outside seating in front it will be an asset to the area.

On 31st March 2018 - rating: 8

ROB Camra left this review about Stew & Oyster

Called in here on our way back from The Milestone after an excellent meal as usual. As Will says it does look a bit strange with the black bricks. I think it looks like one large black brick from a distance. It's very modern inside with some high tables along with loads of dining tables and chairs. It was packed on our Sunday evening visit, so they're obviously doing something right. 6 ales available, my pint was in very good nick and Ms CAMRA says her red wine was good quality as well. We'll no doubt call in again next time we eat at The Milestone, but we won't be making a special trip out.

On 25th February 2018 - rating: 6

Will Larter left this review about Stew & Oyster

This is part of the redevelopment of the Green Lane Works, and I can remember thinking when they were building it that whoever decided to use black bricks should be put up against the wall and shot. The Stew & Oyster, part of a chain of that name, has dining tables in the modern part, with the bar behind in what remains of the old building. The bar counter is stainless steel and white tiles, with new wooden floors and old, grungy brick walls. There's a soundtrack of modern music and full length windows which turn out to be doors, too. Though it wasn't busy when I popped in for a half at teatime, there were quite a few tables occupied when I passed by on my way home an hour later.

There are eight hand pumps and any number of keg fonts. The real ales were Kirkstall Nowt Ba'ht Hops and Theakston Best Bitter, both doubled up, plus Exit 33 Stout, Thornbridge Lord Marples and Anarchy Blonde Star, with one pump not in use. There's still some finishing touches to be applied, especially the yard to the rear, which is not anywhere near ready to use. There are some bench tables in the front yard, and if they are going to put a few plants there as well as add coping stones to the perimeter wall, it could be quite pleasant here. I had the beer with the fake Yorkshire name, which to be fair did indeed taste of nothing but hops - presumably some malt was used in the brewing process, but I couldn't taste it. At £1.85 for a half, this was on the expensive end of the scale for this part of town, so I'm not sure I'll be adding it to my regular circuit.

On 19th September 2017 - rating: 6