Beer of the Week (w/e 16th January 2022) with london calling on the Pub Forum

Ely
CB7 4AN

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Blue Scrumpy left this review about 3At3

Planning a crawl around Ely can be challenging midweek. This cafe bar does not appear to open until Thursday or Friday and closes at 4pm according to websites I'd viewed, whilst other pubs don't open until 5pm. As such, I made this my second stop.

It is situated in a stone building in an alleyway leading downhill from Forehill to its eponymous car park. You go down steps to the underground bar, which has a blackboard above it listing the beer selection. All are KeyKegs - Secret Project Pchyolka, Dark Revolution Orbital, Mobberley Brewhouse Crush, Three Blind Mice IPA Galaxy & Simcoe, Wild Weather Damn Good Cherry & Lovibonds Henley Gold.

I enquired about real cider, which is kept in a fridge behind the bar. They had both Lilley's Somerset Scumpy Medium & Dry. I hadn't actually realised there were two. So, I selected the Medium, which certainly tasted much sweeter than Somerset Scrumpy I have had previously. So, my first new cider tick of the day!

A small room to the left of the bar serves as a bottle shop to take away or to drink on the premises. There is a small area of seating opposite the bar, whilst steps lead to the much more popular suntrap patio area.

A strange kind of place that feels more bottle shop than bar. But nevertheless, the concept seems to work. It's a pity they don't open in the evenings. However, the upside is that in a city that doesn't appear to possess a Wetherspoon's, it is possibly the only place you can get a decent drink in the morning.

On 8th October 2021 - rating: 7