Pubs Galore crawls 2020 with rpadam on the Pub Forum

The Four Ashes, Waterloo, Liverpool

Pub added by peter ashworth
23 Crosby Road North
Liverpool
L22 0LD

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Pub SignMan left this review about The Four Ashes

You really can't move around this part of the world without stumbling across a micropub, as I discovered when making my way from the Trap and Hatch to the Liverpool Pigeon and happened across this place on the way. It turned out that the pub had only been opened for a couple of weeks when I arrived in the first week of April and the place certainly had the feel of a very recent conversion. I don't know what the property was before it became a pub, but as I was sat there it struck me that it felt like I was waiting to have my hair cut! The pub occupies a corner premises with a tile floor and whitewashed walls throughout, which makes the room nice and bright but feeling very featureless at this early stage in its development. Frosted windows along two sides let plenty of light in and there is a good mix of seating available including wing back sofas, tub chairs and a few regular chairs, all of a good quality and all serving a mixed bag of table sizes. The large window sills looked they might also offer somewhere to perch should the place get particularly busy. The only decor of note during my visit was a couple of 'Four Ashes' signs painted on the walls and a few plain mirrors. A black bar counter in the rear corner stands beneath a set of blackboards listing all the various drink and snack options available to you. Some nice potted plants brighten the room up a bit and there was music playing somewhere in the background, but even with just three customers in, it was lost under chatter. The proprietors seemed like a friendly couple an had a good chat with the few of us in on a midweek afternoon, explaining that the pub takes it's name from the four members of the family who set it up.
The beer range was certainly an encouraging starting point and I was able to choose from Bristol Beer Factory Twelve Apostles, Melwood Session Pale, Big Bog Morast, Raw JR Best Bitter, Neptune Amberjack and a beer called Sin Bin from an unidentified brewer. A pretty wide selection for a new micropub and it remains to be seen whether it is sustainable but I was happy to report that my pint of the JR Best Bitter was in great shape. Two real ciders were also available and there were two craft keg options from Purity and Red Willow.
I found this place came across almost like a work in progress, very much in need of some bedding down time to build up a bit of character and a sense of place. I thought the beer here was very good and a wide selection to pick from will make it stand out from the crowd as long as quality can be maintained. The owners seemed like a well intentioned bunch and I really hope this place works out well for them - I'd be keen to give it another go a bit further down the line, as it was a bit too early to assess this time round.

On 13th May 2017 - rating: 6

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Four Ashes

Only opened the end of march due to some red tape. The space it has acquired was an extended seating area held by the Chinese take away next door. Four Ashes gets its name from the four family members who run this new Micro. The pub consists of a good sized wedge shaped room with a small bar area in the top right corner, finished in shiny black formica and a laminate counter top. Four ales on handpump, Navigation New Dawn Pale, Neptune Triton, Raw Best Bitter and Moles Brewery Moles Dark. I went for the Neptune Triton, which was in good shape.
This is a welcoming micro and other drinkers on my visit were friendly and chatty.
My only criticism was the plastic and wobbly bar stools, toilet seat not fixed properly and unfinished door frames.

On 2nd April 2017 - rating: 6