Summer 2020 crawl - possible venues with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

W7
W7 3TR

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Pub SignMan left this review about The Dodo Micropub

This is a typical shop converted micropub in the heart of Hanwell, which opened in January 2017, becoming one of West London’s first micropubs in the process. The single room set-up sees exposed modern floorboards, plain painted walls and a small grey counter immediately to your right on entry. Seating comes in the form of high benches down both sides of the room, which serve rough (rustic?) wood plank tables with some high stools and a bay window eat at the front rounding things out. The walls have mainly been decorated with random items and a few Dodo themed bits, including pub merchandise, rather than the usual breweriana and pump clip display that you might have expected to see. There’s a very helpful beer board opposite the servery, which is essential in helping you select a beer, as there are no handpulls on the bar – all the beer is held in a temperature-controlled room to the rear of the pub. There’s a small unisex toilet to the rear as well, which has a sign in it explaining that it is twinned with another toilet in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which I believe is a reference to a charity scheme rather than a comment on the state of the pub’s lavatory facilities. Flyers around the room detailed a number of interesting, enterprising events in the pub, which included a vegetable swap-meet for local allotment holders, tap-takeovers from some of the country’s top brewers, food matching evenings, pop-up food stalls and a free cheeseboard on Sundays.
There were four cask ales available when I visited – Animal Brewing Skunk, Arbor Blue Sky Drinking, Siren Suspended in Summer and one other I failed to note, plus one keg beer and a wide bottle and can selection. The Skunk was far tastier than the name implies, and my other half tried one of their bottled ciders which she enjoyed too. There was a reasonable crowd in on our Sunday afternoon visit and the barman seemed to know everyone but was friendly and welcoming to a couple of new faces.
I liked this micropub and was impressed with the range of events they have organised and their clear engagement with the local community. The good beer and friendly surrounds make this a must-visit pub when in Hanwell and if I was a local, I’d be extremely happy that such an enterprise had opened up in my neighbourhood.

On 27th November 2019 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Dodo Micropub

I agree with Rex, this is a difficult one to leave. We found this micro to be very comfortable, and we got a very friendly welcome from the owners Alex and Lucy, plus a good choice of beers. I went for the Belleville Brewery from Battersea, Commonside Pale Ale. This definitely passed the two pint test and became Beer of the Week. The table service was also good and efficient, so we were treated like Lords.

On 9th June 2017 - rating: 8

Rex Rattus left this review about The Dodo Micropub

This is a typical micropub, which is of course a good thing. There were five real ales on, dispensed from a cooled room at the back and brought to your table. There's no regular beer - they change all the time. There's no food other than nuts and the like, although I gather the landlady is considering the addition of pork pies, over which I and the only other customer in there encouraged her. I had pints of the XT XT15 (an English IPA - 4.2% and £4.20 a pint), and ELB Foundation (£4 a pint).

Furnishings are solid tall tables and tall benches, and decor seems to be entirely themed on the dodo, the extinct flightless bird once found on Mauritius - apart from a framed print of a very sad Supergirl. All firsts for me in a pub.

The landlady, Lucy Do (the pub named for her of course), recently received a CAMRA award for her contribution to real ale, and a photograph of her receiving it is on Page 16 of the latest London Drinker. I was fortunate to spend more than an hour in the company of the delightful Ms Do, and as the beer was in superb condition I found it difficult to drag myself away to visit the other pubs on my list. But after a couple of pints I steeled myself to leave to visit the Village Inn down the road. I should have stayed.

I believe that the technical term for a micropub of this quality is "a belter". This one is definitely worth the time and effort of visiting.

On 2nd June 2017 - rating: 8

john gray left this review about The Dodo Micropub

Small shop convertion and pretty much as Micropubs are meant to be.No music,food lager spirits etc.Plenty of beer though.5 maybe 6 cask beers on.Beers stillaged in a rear cool room so the staff provide table service. Minimal décor as yet but nice enough although it can get very busy.Beers on from Burning Sky,Oakham,Reunion,By the horns and Kew.

On 11th March 2017 - rating: 7