Beer of the Week (w/e 15th September 2019) with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

The Newhall Arms, Cannock Town, Cannock

Pub added by aleand hearty
81 High Green
Cannock
WS11 1BN

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Delboy 20 left this review about The Newhall Arms

Nice little micropub with friendly service. There wasn't the biggest choice on when I called but I think I was just unlucky as a couple had gone and there had just been a change behind the bar. Having said that I was more than happy with my beer from one of my local breweries - Fixed Wheel. I will call again.

On 20th September 2018 - no rating submitted

Soup Dragon left this review about The Newhall Arms

This is a micropub built into a part of the old late Victorian 'New Hall' (it was meeting venue). The exterior has a bit of a traditional look to it, in green and cream brick, but it is faux-Victorian. The interior is an open plan room with part-partitioning. Plain, apart from a big stag on one wall, it has a few old photos of Cannock around. I often visit in the day, when it is quiet (and a more mature clientele). Service is always fine. There are usually five real ales on and a few ciders, with better lager etc. Had the Castle Rock MILD, which, as always was more than decent.

On 13th June 2018 - no rating submitted

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The New Hall Arms

Definitely not a micro-pub, but perhaps more of a mini-pub with a similar ethos? Anyway, the bar is a fairly plain affair and the side seating area has a traditional pub-style appearance. Six of the ten handpumps were in use when I visited, with beers in a fair range of styles, and the St Peter's Mild (£3.00) catching my eye.

On 3rd June 2018 - rating: 7

Aqualung . left this review about The New Hall Arms

It's hard to see what this place originally was as it doesn't really look like a shop conversion from outside. Inside it's a roughly square room with the bar counter on the left. There are tiles around the bar and a carpet to the right where there is a decent amount of low seating. There are a few tall stools at the bar and by a shelf. It's a fair bit bigger than most micropubs but it's the way it's run that counts rather than the size. There is a small sound system which was in use but it seemed to be more for the benefit of the bloke behind the bar as he kept switching the tracks around. I was the only one in when I arrived but if there were more people I doubt that music would be not all that audible. Thankfully there are no TVs at all or any other distractions. A gin evening was advertised for Valentine's Day so like many of these places they do a few specialist spirits.
The bar has two sets of five hand pumps which on my Thursday midday visit had three unused, two ciders, Anarchy Urban Assault, Ludlow Best, Slater's Ultra, Ilkley Mary Jane and Fuller's Damson Porter. I went for the Urban Assault (£3.30) and the Damson Porter (£3.00). The Urban Assault was reasonably OK but the Damson Porter was excellent and it made me feel very smug thinking how much in excess of £3.00 it would have cost in a Central London Fullers pub.
Despite the irrelevant size, for me this was a genuine micropub and I would happily return.

On 5th February 2018 - rating: 7

aleand hearty left this review about The New Hall Arms

Newly opened micro(?) pub, run by the family behind The Ashmore, Wednesfield.

On 15th November 2016 - no rating submitted