Beer of the Week (w/e 18th October 2020) with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

1 Stanley St
Sowerby Bridge
HX6 2AH

Rob Hunter left this review about Hogs Head Brew House

Re-visited the Hogs Head on Saturday evening just before 7pm and the place was very busy with no seating available. There was a barrel near the bar, presumably intended as a place to rest your glass if vertical drinking, was unfortunately draped in the coats of a happy couple who I think were dining. So we were left loitering slightly at the end of the bar, but no big deal. Eight hand pulls at the bar with six of their own ales on and two guests. The Hog IPA was good. There appeared to be some keg taps at the back of the bar on the right hand side and I later noticed a separate chalk board for the keg offerings which seemed to be reasonably priced. Service was quick despite the place being so busy. I really can't fault the place or its beer offering, and I am pleased to say it is as good as I remembered from my visit a year ago. It would be nice to spend a bit of time in here working your way through a few of their beers, but on Saturday night we visited as part of a small crawl so it was just a case of having one and moving on, and not giving in to temptation!

On 29th July 2019 - rating: 10

ROB Camra left this review about Hogs Head Brew House

Called in here several times in the last couple of years, but I seem to have forgotten to review it. This place has gone from nowhere to being probably the best pub in Sowerby over the last three years. Alehouse style with flag floors in part and loads of bench seating along with some more standard tables and chairs and a few comfy seats. The brewhouse is visible from the bar area and the brewer has been hard at work on all but one of my visits. A good range of their own beers on the bar along with a guest ale or two. I've always enjoyed my visits here and it's now a must visit pub when in Sowerby Bridge for us.

On 6th December 2018 - rating: 9

Rob Hunter left this review about Hogs Head Brew House

The Hogs Head was the first place we visited when visiting Sowerby Bridge as part of the Calder Valley real ale trail. It's only a few minutes' walk from the station and in my opinion was the best of the venues we visited in Sowerby Bridge. I would have loved to have spent more time in here as there were loads of pumps at the bar including a mix of styles from their own Hogs Head brewery. I had their Old Schnozzler porter which was very good. There was also a wheat bar and various pales and bitters available. I would definitely want to come back here if I pay another visit to Sowerby Bridge. Great beer selection, swift efficient service despite being busy and generally a nice place with a nice vibe.

On 30th July 2018 - rating: 10

Old Boots left this review about Hogs Head Brew House

Opened in December 2015, it's a single room conversion of an industrial building as the heavy beams and cast iron columns show. Naturally the stone work has been exposed and there are flags and bare boards, although there is still some plaster on the walls and all in all it's a tasteful renovation. The end near the bar is given over to vertical drinking and there's a lots of tables and chairs in the remaining space, except for the corner that houses the brewery visible through large windows. Décor is mainly from enamelled signs with a piece of nameless machinery in one corner. Three beers were on from the on-site Hogshead brewery on my visit, a very decent pale Hogs White (4%), 6-8 Weeks (4% bitter) and Old Schnozzler (5.2% porter) alongside beers from Phoenix (three of) Great Yorkshire and Vocation. The place was very popular when I dropped in on a Saturday tea time although it doesn't do food.

On 20th March 2016 - no rating submitted

Al Bundy left this review about Hogs Head Brew House

A cracking little place just of the main drag. A warehouse kinda thing that seems to brew its own beer. A bare bricked and wooden room with a brewhouse connected and visible through a glass partition at the right hand side of the room. The bar consists of 8 handpumps which had 3 beers from their own brewery and the rest were guests. Beers today were White Hog, 6-8 Weeks and Old Schnozzler from Hogs Head plus beers from Brains, Phoenix, Potbelly, Norland and Milestone.

On 18th March 2016 - rating: 9