Virtual Great British Beer Festival 2020 with ETA on the Pub Forum

Burton on Trent
DE14 2JJ

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Weighbridge Inn

My final pub of an 11-pub crawl around Burton, but I can remember talking to the owner, one of the brewers at Muirhouse in Ilkeston, about their inability to find a pub to take on in their home town (hence their presence here in Staffs), so I can't have been too far gone. This is a micropub based in a stand-alone building not far from the station. There was a cheerful, buzzy atmosphere when I arrived half an hour before my train out of Burton, but I received a friendly welcome and discussed the beer options with the barman/owner/brewer. With only one of their beers on the bar (the other three were from another brewery - a sort of tap takeover in a brewery tap) I thought it would be rude not to drink it: Tick Tock Boom, a 4.5% best bitter with a very nice bitter finish. It must have been good because usually after a day's drinking the taste buds become a little jaded, but this one cut right through, and had to be my beer of the day (in the face of some stiff competition, it has to said). Definitely worth a return visit, but note that opening hours on WhatPub and Facebook are not the same, so check before making a special journey.

On 15th March 2020 - rating: 7

Quinno _ left this review about The Weighbridge Inn

An intriguing little place by the railway station and Travelodge. It’s a former coal yard office which is now essentially a small micro leased by Muirhouse Brewery. Two rooms, a plain bar area with a J shaped bar counter on entering and another further back with all the lights off. Only one old boy and a barmaid at 10.30pm on a Thursday evening. Four ales on, 2x Muirhouse, Wantsum Black Pig West Coast Rock Wonky Donkey. I tried the Muirhouse Hop Garden which a bit warm and so-so (NBSS 2) and not a particularly good brew anyway. Maybe I timed my visit badly but I didn’t really rate it much.

On 5th March 2020 - rating: 5

custodian 42 left this review about Weighbridge Inn

Decent two room micro pub with four hand pumps, the best of which was 4.8% ABV. Pleasant landlord. We went back prior to getting the train and there are also take outs available.

On 5th March 2017 - rating: 7

Real Ale Ray left this review about Weighbridge Inn

Formerly the Middle Earth Tavern and rebadged as the Weighbridge. This micro was taken over 10 weeks ago by George, who used to run and own Wentwell Brewery. We met George on our early doors visit on Friday, he told us he has ceased trading and brewing Wentwell and if he does rekindle the urge to brew again, it will only be for the Weighbridge and his pal, who owns the Lazy Landlord on the Wirral.
George also informed us that he opened the Last Post and Little Chester Ale House in Derby and sold them on. He explained that the Weighbridge still needs a bit of tweaking, as he is going to put in a log burning stove in the main room, a laminate floor and take out the racks for stillage and put in a back bar. There is also space for a small cold room, so the beer can be handpumped at the bar.
Four ales on our visit, so we went for the Cross Bay Sunshine Pale, Middle Earth Rivendale and VOG Brewery South Island. The beer prices were up to 4% £2.70 pt, 4.1-5 £2.90, 5 and over £3.20. I can see this micro scoring a 9 on a revisit.

On 17th January 2017 - rating: 8

Old Boots left this review about Middle Earth Tavern

A two room micro in a tiny building, probably an ex-railway structure. The first room has a short counter with the beers stillaged behind, all with in-cask cooling. There are two pulls but they're only for show, all the cask beers are gravity served. There is a single font with a "proper" lager I believe. The beers are from the on-site brewery (across the yard) and local micros, condition is excellent. At the side is a small room called the "Hobbit Hole". It's just over the road from the railway station and beside the Travelodge, down some steps and across the yard or turn into the yard off Derby St and it's on the right, dangerously handy.

On 31st July 2016 - no rating submitted
[User has posted 2259 recommendations about 2097 pubs]

Danny O'Revey left this review about Middle Earth Tavern

Close to the railway station but hidden away in the Travelodge car park, its very bright in the two small rooms, there are a few French bistro pictures on the walls but the main emphasis is on the barrels behind the bar serving excellent beer including Middle Earth's own. Friendly, knowledgable staff, lovely little drinking den

On 2nd December 2015 - rating: 8