In the Hop Garden with rpadam on the Pub Forum

M1 2GH

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Old Boots left this review about Piccadilly Tap

Woefully understaffed for a bar near the station, what staff there are, are not really up to the job.
Five pulls of not a brilliant choice in spite of the presence of two Roosters beers, very poor beer quality on cask. The island bar has 18 keg choices which MAY be of better quality, I didn’t check. If this is owned by the same people as the York, Harrogate and Sheffield Taps then Jamie Hawksworth needs to sort this out PDQ. Modern wooden lined box with low and high tables down each side. More seating and pool table upstairs. Nasty would seem an appropriate description.

On 13th March 2020 - no rating submitted
[User has posted 2258 recommendations about 2098 pubs]

Brainy Pool left this review about Piccadilly Tap

if a large range of beers is your only basis for a good pub you'll love it. the other main selling point is proximity to Piccadilly and it is your best option in that immediate vicinity. sadly it's also a cold and somewhat dull place. a bit like Wigan Central without the charm. Also the door doesn't shut by itself and I got tired of having to close it, plus you've got an Everest climb to the toilets. 6/10.

On 21st November 2018 - rating: 6

Moby Duck left this review about Piccadilly Tap

Handy for Piccadilly station either when arriving or waiting to depart Manchester.The frontage of the bar doesn't leap out at you being in the middle of a number of shopping experiences, indeed I initially walked straight past it. Inside it's a rather charmless open space with a long two sided counter to the rear. There was plenty of craft options in keg up on the wall board, with just 3 available on cask, I had a perfectly fine Shindigger West Coast Pale. The toilets are upstairs as is another seating area, however this was even more bland than the downstairs area. A functional and convenient place with some decent beer, but I couldn't warm to it.

On 15th October 2018 - rating: 6

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Piccadilly Tap

Bloomsbury Leisure ale and craft beer outlet in the parade of small shops under the 'Lazy S' office blocks on the main approach to Piccadilly station, so very handy if waiting for a train. Features a 'U'-shaped counter, an impressive row of taps on the bar-back and a chalkboard beer menu on a side wall. Not a lot of seating in the bar, but there is also an upstairs room and a little pavement space outside. On my first visit I found six cask beers (including the Great Heck Voodoo Mild, £3.60) and 16 keg offerings.

On 7th July 2018 - rating: 7

Rob Hunter left this review about Piccadilly Tap

Visited on Saturday evening while waiting for a train at Piccadilly. The Smokeless by Redwillow took our fancy, at £3.80 a pint on cask - yet they somehow feel justified in charging £5.00 for two halves. To be honest this is just a piss take and takes a couple of points off what I had previously found to be a good place with a decent beer selection. My friend was ordering the drinks and he did query the price, pointing out the £3.80 a pint listed on the chalk board, but was assured that £5.00 was correct for two halves. Apparently another couple of punters at the bar looked on in disbelief. I have no issue with places rounding up the price of a half to the nearest 10p for convenience but I am not sure how adding 60p on can be justified at all. This would definitely deter me from going back if I knew I would only be in for a half.

On 3rd April 2018 - rating: 7

Rob Hunter left this review about Piccadilly Tap

I do like this place, with its ever changing cask and keg options, the great big chalk board listing everything in clear detail, and despite my initial uncertainty even the strange understated interior with retro mock wood panelled walls has grown on me. It feels part industrial and part 1980s café. Plenty of tables and chairs, though I think most, if not all, of those were high tables and stools (or high chairs). I normally have a preference for cask but on my most recent visit the Session IPA by Shindigger on key took my fancy, and very pleasant it was too. Busy, as you would expect on a Saturday evening, but I managed to find a perch by the shelf against the wall. Very handy for Piccadilly station but also worth going out of your way to seek out.

On 16th March 2018 - rating: 9

Real Ale Ray left this review about Piccadilly Tap

The pub was fairly quiet on our Thursday night visit. There was two bar staff on, who were friendly and helpful when it came to choosing a beer. My only gripe on our visit was that empty glasses were left on the majority of the tables and the tables weren't wiped down, so you were conscious of resting your arm down on the table in case, you got sticky spillage on your coat.
A choice of six cask and twenty keg on our visit, so we went for the Heavy Industry 77 IPA and the Kirkstall Three Swords APA, I much preferred the Heavy Industry, out of the two.

On 25th November 2017 - rating: 6

custodian 42 left this review about Piccadilly Tap

Usual decent selection of ales and I managed to get a seat for once. Could do with the toilets being downstairs as it's a Spoons like walk to them.

On 18th December 2016 - rating: 6

Malden man left this review about Piccadilly Tap

A functional and fairly bleak feeling place, the large ground floor room has a long truncated triangular bar to the rear with a model fish affixed for reasons unknown. Bar area walls are lined with unbonded stone, a bit like a dry-stone wall, the white ceiling is not properly finished and could do with skimming. High tables and basic stools down one side, more conventional seating along the other, another room upstairs has a table football game and more seating. The minimalist and inadequate toilet provision is up here consisting of three possibly four, single cubicles marked as F or M. There is enough room for a decent (and legal) level of provision.
The beers, both cask and keg options are listed on boards near the bar including info about style, abv and price. Saturday's options on the cask side were First Chop Rye Pale, Redemption Trinity, Revolutions Cocker, Cloudwater Bitter, Abbeydale Absolution and Track Toba stout. Whoever writes up the board has issues with spelling. I didn't think the prices of the cask ales were that bad although I am used to London, I paid less, similar and more during my Manchester trip.
As for the pub, the beer range is interesting but the interior is basically drab and feels unfinished. So much more could have been made of it. They are going to rake it in though here on Piccadilly approach so maybe not a need to try too hard?

On 19th November 2015 - rating: 6

Al Bundy left this review about Piccadilly Tap

On the station approach of the main entrance to Piccadilly. A plain pub that had a decent selection of cask ales plus a selection of bottled and keg beers. The Mocha Porter was very coffeeish as you would expect. The porter was 5.9% and though it was £4 a pint I was expecting it to be a bit more to be honest. Still its obviously worth a try because the beers change frequently.

On 12th November 2015 - rating: 6