Pub Of The Month - November 2021 with rpadam on the Pub Forum

E7
E7 0AQ

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Aqualung . left this review about Wanstead Tap

This is not the easiest place to find, it is situated in a railway arch at the top end of Winchelsea Road just before it fizzles out rather than continuing North into Thorpe Road. The nearest station is probably Wanstead Park Overground on the Gospel Oak to Barking line, but it seemed a fair walk. The buses in Dames Road are nearer.
This started off as an outlet for bottled beers from London microbreweries to take away or by mail order. It now does on and off sales at the premises and has started serving the odd cask.

Inside it is a single arch under the Overground with the roof consisting of a corrugated metal arch concealing the bricks in a fashion rather similar to the Chelmsford Ale House. There is a small bar on the right, some solid wood tables and chairs, a couple of sofas and a whole load of shelving containing a vast selection of bottled "craft" beers. There was no cask beer on my visit, I got the impression they may have had problems with the relatively hot summer and getting deliveries at the right time.
I thought that deciding on a beer to try would be a daunting task but quickly spotted Siren Empress Stout, an 8.5% Russian Stout that I reckoned would be OK without being chilled. The 330ml bottle was £3.50 to drink in or £3.00 to go. I've no idea how that compares with a trendy "craft" bar in Central London, it seemed expensive but I didn't feel I was being taken to the cleaners.
They do limited food, I thought I saw a pork pie with micro-waved mushy peas being served. Well at least they are up front about it.

If they are serious about cask they really need some sort of temperature controlled cabinets to hold however many casks they want on at a time. I don't think they have room for a full blown cellar.

This is something rather different and must be really handy for the people who live in the surrounding terraced streets. If they could sort the cask arrangements out then I'm guessing it would be classed as a micropub.

Normal opening hours are as follows:-

10:00 to 18:00 Mon-Thu & Sat