Yet another list with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

The Little Tanner, Northallerton Central, Northallerton

Pub added by aleand hearty
227a High Street
Northallerton
DL7 8LU

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Little Tanner

A small one room bar, which was bordering on a micropub status. This was until I noticed a large flat screen TV behind the bar playing a music channel, plus a wall mounted jukebox on the opposite wall. There were a couple of beer drinkers on our visit, with the majority preferring the lager and keg offerings. So this one room bar had a choice of two cask ales, Helmesley Brewery Striding The Riding and Camerons Strongarm. We went for the Helmesley, which was ok. The main features in here was the wall on the left of the entrance, displaying a collection of various empty beer bottles and an old upright piano opposite the doorway to the small patio area.

On 13th August 2019 - rating: 5

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Little Tanner

Compact pub (which, if new, would no doubt be called a micro-pub) hidden away along a narrow alleyway, with the very limited amount of interior seating supplemented by a equally small patio on one side and a notional beer garden further back on the other. Decor of the alehouse variety, not the character to match unfortunately. Just two beers available from the three handpumps: Wainwright and Daleside Bitter (£3.50). Disappointing.

On 3rd August 2018 - rating: 5

Old Boots left this review about The Little Tanner

Formerly one of the best pubs in Northallerton (there isn't much competition actually) but it appears to have new owners and has drastically gone downhill. We popped in for a drink on a pub crawl and found popular national kegs and only the not so popular Black Sheep bitter on cask, we didn't stay.

On 25th February 2018 - no rating submitted
[User has posted 2070 recommendations about 1926 pubs]

custodian 42 left this review about The Little Tanner

Entrance on left down an alley. Bar on right on entrance. Three weak real ales and keg on offer. Toilets at rear upstairs and there is a beer garden.

On 20th July 2017 - rating: 4

Will Larter left this review about Truefitt's Tap

We got some very good chips (with scraps) from the White Horse Cafe, and after we'd eaten them on a nearby bench came in here to wash them down with a beer. The wall of shelves holding a variety of beer bottles was a puzzle on entering - it gave the initial impression of an off licence, but then it was immediately apparent that they were all empty. When we approached the bar I was startled to find my hand being licked by a young boxer, but when I expressed this I got a look from the manager which was a mixture of incomprehension and contempt. There are two sorts of people in the world: dog lovers and the rest of us.

The craft keg beers and cask ales are all served from taps in the wall beside the bar, and are listed on a blackboard. Our beers were, to be honest, too cold. In a more comfortable pub we'd have stayed a while to let them get to room temperature, but we were in a hurry to escape the dog's over friendly attentions, so we just drank up and moved on. If I lived locally I'm sure I'd be back, but I have to say we didn't much enjoy our one-off visit.

On 6th November 2015 - rating: 5

Old Boots left this review about Truefitt's Tap

A single, narrow L shaped room up a narrow alley beside a chippy. Pretty much a micro pub in style the three cask ales are served by the new fangled boil in the bag system. There's also 3 ciders and 2 interesting European kegs (Pilsner Urquell and Dortmunder Vier). Usual hard seating and basic tables, but also a leather sofa. Basic decor as well but one wall is made up of shelving with a lot of beer bottles apparently empty and not for sale. The bar also sells soft drinks, wine and a few spirits. As it's a brewery tap the beer is in excellent condition and that's a big plus in Northallerton where some pubs are pretty dire.

On 15th December 2014 - no rating submitted