Pub Of The Month - November 2021 with rpadam on the Pub Forum

Scampton
Postal town: Lincoln
LN1 2SD

Blue Scrumpy left this review about Dambusters Inn

The only pub in the village of Scampton is named after 617 Squadron, which is/was based at the nearby RAF base from which the Dambusters launched their raid during World War II. The base is also home to the Red Arrows.

There was no sign of any aircraft activity on our Saturday lunchtime visit. But the interior of the pub has many exhibits to admire. It feels very much like drinking in a museum.

We were greeted on arrival and directed to a table to the right-hand side of the entrance, where much of the memorabilia is on display, including various pieces of equipment from the base and old pictures of the Lancasters. A Lancaster tyre can also be found in the centre of the pub.

Greg's Dambuster Ale, brewed at the pub is the regular ale. It was supplemented by 3 guests - Pheasantry Best Bitter, Brewster's Decadence & Welbeck Abbey Nightingale. 3 ciders were all from Abrahall's - AM, Slack Alice & Thundering Molly.

A 10% discount is offered on halves and pints of real ale and cider for CAMRA card holders.

The car park at the front is currently closed and is being used for additional seating.

A decent pub that is well worth the trip out of Lincoln to visit.

On 23rd September 2020 - rating: 7

Old Blue left this review about Dambusters Inn

My revisit to the Dambusters last weekend found friendly landlord and locals, and an expanded line of eight handpulls, two with real ciders, one with a perry, and five ales – two from Kelham Island, one Cottage, and Dukeries IPA and Thwaites Lancaster Bomber (obviously). The two ales I tried were on good form. The menu offered traditional pub food with mains at around £8, and we ate here this time, on the decked area to the front which was something of a sun trap on an unusually warm April day in Lincolnshire. Our meals were really tasty and generously portioned. I was a tad disappointed to see the bar billiards table on its side, replaced by a dining table and waiting to be put on eBay. On the other hand, good news that the pub now has strong enough trade to need the extra table, and my missus seemed relieved not to have to give me a game. Still an excellent pub, and I will certainly return when in the area

Below review was from my first visit in January 2013 -

This multi-roomed pub on the main road through the village near RAF Scampton is almost a museum to WWII flying, with memorabilia all around, including a memorial to 617 squadron in the entrance, the instrument panel, a wheel and part of a wing from a Lancaster bomber in a side room, uniforms, pictures, etc, etc. I was surprised to discover it used to be a village store and post office, as it is very much a proper pub. Despite the cold day it had a very warm atmosphere, with a log fire and also a bar billiards table in a side room and a bar skittles game in a rear room.

The excellent ale range from five hand pumps included Oakham JHB, Thornbridge Jaipur, Thwaites Lancaster Bomber (obviously!), Bateman’s Miss Lapland, and a Titanic brew. Unfortunately we just missed the end of lunch service, and we needed to move on after a pint and a game of bar billiards, It was easily my favourite pub from last week’s Lincolnshire visit, and I’ll certainly do my best to return for a more leisurely session here, as I could happily have stayed all day.

On 26th April 2014 - rating: 10