Wetherspoon's news of the day with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

54 Nicholas Street
Chester
CH1 2NX

Al Bundy left this review about The Architect

A nice modern pub for a change. Smack bang opposite the racecourse so obviously on race days it will be packed with boring horsey bores. That said on other days its not too bad if a bit snobby. Several real ales available and a nice garden area that's very sunny on summer days.

On 28th October 2015 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about The Architect

This is still a Bruning & Price pub, and follows their usual format of having a decent selection of ales (there were eight real ales on in here) and tastefully decorated interiors. This was my first experience of Chester pubs, and discovered that all ales here are dispensed through sparklers, so Londoners beware! Inside it's a large affair with plenty of interconnected drinking and dining areas, with quite a lot of tables laid for diners. I didn't get to examine a menu, but I know from experience that Bruning & Price pubs serve good quality food, but are quite expensive.

However, the main attraction of this pub on a sunny day as, somewhat surprisingly, it was on the day I visited is the extensive outside seating areas either on the patio area or the lawn overlooking Chester racecourse.

This is not exactly a traditional boozer, but is most definitely worth stopping off to visit if you're walking the Chester wall.

On 14th September 2015 - rating: 7

ROB Camra left this review about The Architect

We did call in again. The weather was excellent so we sat outside and ate here. The food is pricey, but very good quality. A hot & cold meat sharing platter and a sharer cheese board came to nearly £29, but there was loads of it.

07/05/2013
Very smart pub, newly converted from a Georgian house (St Martins Villa) set in its own grounds beside Chester racecourse. It's named after Thomas Harrison the architect who designed most of Chester castle, the Grosvenor Bridge and also this building, which was his home. The outdoor area is very appealing and will probably get packed in Summer and will probably be a mess during race days. It's very foody, as you might expect. The room to the right as you enter is effectively a restaurant. To the left is a small seating area for drinkers and then down a couple of steps to another area that was full of diners. The decor is formulaic Brunning & Price, but all very nicely done. There were 4 cask beers available on our visit at extortionate prices even for Chester. Having said that, both the pints I had were in good condition, although I can't for the life of me remember what I had. The other half liked it, which is why we had two. That and the fact that our table at Upstairs At The Grill just up the road on Watergate Street wasn't booked for a further 30 minutes. (where they're also good at extortionate prices). It's a decent pub and will no doubt rake it in. We'll almost certainly call in again next time we're in Chester in about a month.

On 8th August 2013 - rating: 8