Disappointment of the week with hondo on the Pub Forum

Burgess Hill
RH15 9AE

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Aqualung . left this review about Quench Bar & Kitchen

I thought this was a "bar" rather than a "pub" but these distinctions are becoming increasingly blurred. Inside it's a split level room with a wood laminate floor. If this was Islington rather than Sussex the decor would have been battleship grey but thankfully it was grey green (dare I say duck egg green?).
I noticed a large TV screen that was mercifully turned off.
The bar has three hand pumps which on my visit had Harvey's Best & Forward's Choice and XT 14 Saison Pale.
I went for the XT beer (£3.80) which was in good nick.
I wish I had checked out the 10% CAMRA discount listed both here and What Pub which would have bought the price down to a more reasonable level.
I thought this place was OK but it is essentially a trendy bar. At least it's open in the morning and afternoon and is handy for the Railway Station. It's GBG 2016 listed.

On 27th September 2015 - rating: 6

Steve C left this review about Quench Bar & Kitchen

Quench was previously called the Jelly Bar and then had a short stint as Casbah before being known under its present moniker back in 2006. It is primarily a food bearing establishment and the menu contains dishes that one would expect in a cafe rather than a restaurant, but this isn’t a greasy spoon. The most expensive main was the rump steak at £10, but most of the food was priced between £6 and £7. I didn’t eat as my visit was late on Tuesday evening last week and I didn’t see anyone else eating. I would imagine that this place gets busy during lunch periods due to its central location. The interior is split into two sections with seating and a plasma screen to the right and a bar with another plasma screen in the area to the left. There is a large cocktail menu and the draught is mainly premium, but I did spot some Carling and surprisingly there are three hand pumps that were drawing W J King’s King’s Old Ale, Harvey’s Best and Landlord. Once the football had finished the sound was turned off and some background music was put on, but half of the handful of other customers left anyway. There is some café style seating on the path out the front that was being used by some people to grab a cigarette. The gent’s toilet is downstairs and is a single cubicle; I hate queuing for a leak!
Quench is the sort of place most pub going folk would walk past due to it resembling a restaurant. To be honest, If I didn’t notice the evenings Sky Sports football match on the TV as I walked past I probably wouldn’t have taken a second look at the place either.

The service was friendly, but I’d rather watch the match in Jacobs Post over the road as I prefer a proper pub.

On 15th January 2012 - rating: 6