Disappointment of the week with Brainypool on the Pub Forum

Postal town: Woburn
MK45 5LA

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Komakino . left this review about The Chequers

A great descriptive review by Soupy below, on my Monday night visit this was heaving and I had to retire to the 'courtyard' out back to reflect and imbibe. A super pub ambience, even if there was a bit of a wait due to a coffee order ahead of me. Purity UBU, Exmoor Stag and Otter Bitter on the pumps (I went for a bottle of Adnam's Dry Hopped Lager - I await my Camra membership revoking). Although there's bar eating to be had, this also, cleverly, has a dining out back, which looks to be a late 19th / early 20th Century construct. In summary, a cracking pub which won't tick everyone's boxes but has a well-drilled and inclusive air. Good on them.

On 25th September 2017 - rating: 7

Soup Dragon left this review about The Chequers

Once called the Griffen Inn, this is a fantastic double-gabled thatched Inn that does B&B and food. It looks like two cottages built into each other, one half the length and it seems to have a touch of the Georgian, but looks older with its timber frame around cream painted brick. It has a small front patio and a rear one.

The interior has a couple of rooms, both of the L-shaped. The front room is the bar room, which is in white and sky blue, with a white and beam ceiling and stone flag floor. There are a couple of fireplaces here with stoves and a TV, with Sky Sports along with a pool table. A few sofas are present, sadly. The back room is larger and more for dining. There is a brick feature that divides the room and the L point. It is also in white and sky blue, with some undressed brick, with a white wood plank ceiling and a wood and carpet floor. The stable restaurant part has a beam and A-frame roof. There are a mix of old film pictures and landscapey stuff on the walls. There is a TV, with Sky Sports and there was no background music at my visit. The place had just been taken -over and the service was really friendly, as were the few locals that were in. We ate here and i had a great pizza on recommendation from a local - i wasn't disappointed.

Beer; usual tap stuff with a decent Youngs Bitter and London Pride on handpull.

We were on our way back from France when we stopped off here mainly just to eat - i really enjoyed it. Worth a visit, and a pizza!

On 21st November 2011 - no rating submitted