Random news of the day with Real Ale Ray on the Pub Forum

Berry Head Road
Brixham
TQ5 9BP

E TA left this review about The Prince William

This sea front pub has evolved into a fish and chip café that has got above its station a bit. Only table service was available. Service is inefficient – I waited over 30 minutes for a beer, and the staff appeared friendly but over worked. The food was good, but again took a long time to arrive. Ales on were Doombar and two from Salcombe, Seahorse and Shingle Bay. One real cider was available along with Blue Moon and Atlantic on Keg. The ales were in good condition, but it’s not somewhere I’d rush back to given the time it takes to get served.

On 8th September 2021 - rating: 6

Ale Monster left this review about The Prince William

This is a small modern carvery restaurant with a public bar which is accessed via large patio doors from Brixham marina quay side, the interior is a single open plan room with an L shaped bar counter in the back left corner and the carvery serving counter in the back right corner. The décor is modern with large potted plants and various pastel colours and contemporary paintings on the walls. The building is set back further than the other buildings around it which allows space at the quay side for a dozen or more picnic tables with large parasols.

Regular ales are currently St Austell Brixham Bitter, Tribute, Proper Job and Bays Devon Dumpling. I sampled the Brixham Bitter and Devon Dumpling and found both to be very well kept in my opinion. I have not seen the Brixham Bitter anywhere else so I think it might be brewed especially for this place, however St Austell have recently opened a pub in Brixham called the Old Market House where they may also sell it.

A surprisingly good selection of beers kept in good condition. I visited this place primarily for a family meal and I had not intended to review it as I was not expecting anything special on the bar. My father and father in law both commented on how good the beer was so I felt obliged to make some notes. The carvery was also very good with beef, gammon and turkey available complimented by no less than ten different vegetables. This is not the kind of place I would usually choose to have a drink but I would return, especially for a family meal.

On 13th November 2011 - rating: 7