pubs galore bar with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

LE1 4QA

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

custodian 42 left this review about The Salmon

Decent real ale pub in the back streets. Black Country ale based of which I had Fireside. Friendly barman. I would return.

On 17th March 2020 - rating: 6

Danny O'Revey left this review about The Salmon

Central bar, exposed brick, padded benches, low pipped music and sports TV. Typical Black Coutry Ales pub including good beer and choice.

On 9th November 2019 - rating: 7

Gill Smith left this review about The Salmon

Now part of Black Country Ales chain, the choice and quality of the beers was good yesterday when we called in. Decor is now prints round the walls instead of all the sport items. We enjoyed our beers from Kinver and Fixed Wheel breweries.

On 16th July 2016 - rating: 8

Quinno _ left this review about The Salmon

A calmer revisit outside of beer festival time (no sign of the purple ponce), so a proper review:

A fabulous bolt hole just half a minute from the immediate town centre with six eclectic ales. My Raising Richard Brandy Ale was sublime and at £1.75 also excellent value for a 6%. Stayed on and also had a fantastic Quatermaster stout. Plush burgundy banquettes, lovely interior tiling and some nice picked colour glasswork in the bar area and lobby door. Some tasteful modern touches such as the design of the blinds. A narrow horseshoe shaped bar, the layout is awkward and if even faintly busy you feel in someone's way at the bar. Rugby focussed, with a smattering of Leicester fans in attendance watching their team stage an improbable comeback away to Saracens. A collection of framed international rugby ties en route to the bogs. Key here is pride in the pub as a whole. I can understand why it is so popular with the local CAMRA crowd and I’d certainly put it joint top of the list for a city centre crawl alongside the Swan & Rushes.

April 2013
This back street pub (apparently a former Banks house) is now free of tie and is the current Big Noise on the Leicester ale scene. Located just round the back of the Shires it sports a solid if fairly unremarkable Victorian exterior. The interior has a U-shaped bar with some nice features, particularly a slant towards rugby memorabilia. I visited when the beer fest was already in full swing and the place was duly packed out. A really good selection available and the heavy abv (Betjeman) ale I had was first class. Can’t comment much about the interior as I didn’t see much of it, so packed was the pub. I took a quick pic of the pump clip of the beer I was drinking which elicited a massively OTT response from the purple ponce behind the bar, who wildly pointed to signs (hanging well-above my eye-line) above the bar asking patrons not to take photos because of some auction of the clips. Fair enough, but perhaps you could have been rather less self-righteous, eh? Be calm, find your neutral space…

On 27th January 2014 - rating: 9

I L left this review about The Salmon

Having visited this pub last year another visit this year was a must for this award winning pub. We sat in the larger tiled floor part of this two roomed pub next to a very warming fire for n early December night.

A good friendly feel to this place.

On 10th December 2013 - rating: 9

Pub SignMan left this review about The Salmon

Voted Leicester CAMRA pub of the Year for the last two years, with landslide majorities, the Salmon is an essential port of call for any real ale fans visiting the city. The pub has a compact U shape layout with a mix of tiles and bare floorboards. The right hand side of the pub was dominated by some temporary stilage set up for a beer festival and was very crowded during our stay. There is fixed seating around the perimeter and the walls have nice tiling and half panels. The left side of the pub has a decent amount of bench and low stool seating, with the PuG crawlers giving the benches a thorough test as they piled on for a group photo. A lit fire was very welcome given the terrible weather outside and the walls were decorated with various bits of Leicester Tigers memorabilia, with a TV screen on one wall for sports coverage. The servery has a stained glass canopy and a Banks’ mirror behind the bar reminds us of the pubs former ownership.
There were five ales available on the bar – Fallen Dragonfly, Elixir Cuzzy Brew, Burnside Blonde, Demonbrew Demon Black and Betjamin Imperial Christmas Stout – plus several more on the aforementioned stilage. My pint of Cuzzy Brew was in fine shape but as others have mentioned, the beers on stilage were pouring flat, which was a shame as there was a tempting line up. Food is available at lunchtimes from Monday to Saturday. The barman seemed friendly enough (although I didn’t have my camera with me, which might have helped!) and talked us through his proposed brewery venture which is set to open soon.
Clearly this is a must do pub for the beer tourist, but I thought it had more to it than just a good ale policy. It’s a well set up, homely pub with friendly locals and enthusiastic staff and it will be one of the first pubs I seek out the next time I’m in town.

On 1st May 2013 - rating: 9

ROB Camra left this review about The Salmon

I called in here twice during our Leicester jaunt. Once after the beer festival and again on the PuG crawl. On the first visit I had a couple of halves from their festival bar which I thought were in pretty good nick and a pint from one of the handpumps. The day after I just had a pint from the normal bar as the festival bar was crowded with familiar faces. I'd like to visit again when it's a bit quieter, but I thoroughly enjoyed the place. It will also become a brewpub in the very near future when it will be home to Dem Bones brewery.

On 17th April 2013 - rating: 8

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Salmon

A charming street corner local hidden away from the young drinkers circuit,this is now a free house.The interior winds around a three sided bar and features an old Leicester Tigers framed K shirt,a host of other Tigers memorabilia,a Sky Sports flat screen and a coal affect gas fire but also some original tiling and very pleasant leather bound bench seating.There was a beer festival on my visit and the racked barrels took up one end of the interior,sadly my scoop was as flat as a pancake.However there are six handpumps on the bar and my Elixir Cuzzy Brew,a 5.5%dark IPA ,proved to be pint of the crawl.
It's a must visit and there will always be a good amount of banter amongst real ale enthusiasts but I thought it strange when the barman said there was a pub rule against photographing pump clips,a strange interpretation of copyright law unless he was joking.That aside,I plan to pop back next time in Leicester.

On 6th April 2013 - rating: 8
[User has posted 2088 recommendations about 2088 pubs]

Steve of N21 left this review about The Salmon

Deciding to make an inaugural visit to The Salmon during the Leicester CAMRA Beer festival week when the pub was hosting its own mini festival with an additional eight barrels on stillage taking up a fair chunk of the available space on the right hand side of the bar probably wasn’t conducive to seeing how this place functions normally. But I saw enough to know this must now be added for a further visit when next in town.
The traditional pub décor is well described below and the collection of Leicester centred rugby memorabilia was interesting to a Saracens supporter.
Ignoring the festival options the pub offers 6 regularly changing ales, mainly from microbreweries, which usually includes a mild, and have real cider on draught too.
Similarly to the reviewer below the half I tried from one of the barrels wasn’t too good, but the one from the pumps was very well kept. And if I had been able to write at this late stage of our crawl I would have been able to tell you what they were as well !

On 2nd April 2013 - rating: 8

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Salmon

Last visit on a busy day, and the place was packed for a beer festival so difficult to get a proper impression of the place. However, I noted six handpumps on the 'U'-shaped bar counter plus a number of other beers on stillage. My quick pint of Humulus Lupulus from the Botanist micro-brewery (£3.00) was fine, and I'll certainly be back.

On 22nd March 2013 - rating: 8