How Will Pubs Open? with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

NW1 2EF
Phone: 02031378837

Page: 1 2 3

Quinno _ left this review about Euston Tap

My original reviews seem have to disappeared into the void somehow. Many pixels have been spilt since then by others so all I need to say is - it's one of two original buildings at the front of the (scandalously) demolished old Euston Station.

Upsides - lots of beer in great shape; prices reasonable for London. Quirky surroundings.
Downsides - lethal cast iron staircase upstairs. Being hassled by the local junkies and scumbags outside

It's a good place.

On 9th March 2020 - rating: 8

Blackthorn _ left this review about Euston Tap

A quite unusual pub housed in a tall vertical building that was perhaps some sort of gate house in a former life, it’s one of a pair either side of the approach road to the station, although the other one to the east was not open on our Saturday lunchtime visit. There is a small amount of outside seating on a terrace and the surrounding pavement.

Internally it’s fairly minimalist, and could perhaps qualify as a micropub were it not for the music that were playing. The bar counter takes up a good percentage of the available floor space, and together with refrigeration units for bottles, this covers the whole of the back wall. The flooring was some sort of quarry style tiles, although oblong in shape rather than the more usual square. Glazed green tiling was on the lower part of the walls, as well as a ledge for resting your pint on. Seating was fairly limited, consisting of stools around the perimeter and at the bar counter. A rather steep spiral staircase in the corner led upstairs, although we did not investigate this. Other than that, there was little of any note other than a chart on the wall showing different styles of beer.

Beers on tap were Moor So’Hop, Adnams Bitter, Redemption Trinity, Bad Seed Shortcut, Beartown Sha-Man, Five Points Pale and Five Points Best. Another dozen or more craft ale options were available on keg, dispensed from taps mounted to a copper plate behind the bar counter. The solitary cider was Adnams Wild Wave which is a new one on me, but went down rather well. It’s certainly an unusual location for a pub and there was a decent beer selection, but I didn’t really warm to the pub style and it’s not anywhere that I would rush back to.

On 8th May 2019 - rating: 6

Delboy 20 left this review about Euston Tap

An odd place for a pub but it works. Great selection of cask, keg and bottled beers which are not that expensive. I have been looking forward to visiting this one and I am glad I did.
I didn't attempt the spiral staircase!

On 11th October 2018 - no rating submitted

Bucking Fastard left this review about Euston Tap

ORIGINAL REVIEW August 2011.
My first visit to this very fine addition to the London drinking scene.I visited on a Friday after work fully expecting a heaving bar,but pleased that although busy it was never rammed.There is a lot of transient custom with folk popping in for a quick one on their travels,and customers spill outside to drink on the terrace or on the pavement with a fine view of buses manoeuvering .On my visit the blackboard to the right of the bar listed 8 cask ales with an admirable range of strengths and styles from various well respected microbreweries while the board to the left listed 12 kegged beers and lagers ,many at high ABV priced by the half.The fridges supply interesting bottled beers.I thought the ale prices very reasonable for the location.
If you have a head for heights it is worth ascending the tight spiral staircase to see if there is a seat available because the ground floor is primarily for vertical drinking.The loos are upstairs as well which needs to be factored in by anyone with mobility issues.
The clientele is not dominated by beer tickers,the kegged beers were more in demand than cask and a younger generation of drinkers were in the majority on my stay.As others have mentioned the less experienced staff have not quite mastered the skill of serving customers in the order that they have been waiting at the bar,but thankfully the punters are more versed in bar etiquette and normally point out who should be served next.
I will definately use this pub again,there is always the chance of being presented with an outstanding ale to get your teeth into.

UPDATE

Over 2016 I have used The Euston Tap on a number of occassions and feel compelled to increase the score here to 10,simply for the outstanding real ale selection in absolute peak condition from the likes of Marble,Siren Craft,Arbor,Cloudwater and Hopcraft.The bogs are still a mess,it can get crowded immediately afterwork on a friday,but that's a price worth paying if you are hunting for the very best that real ale can offer.And the prices are more than reasonable for Central London.Can't wait for the conversion of the Cider Tap opposite to another cask ale emporium which will also allow a spruce up to this bar in time .A "Must Visit" when in the capital.

On 4th December 2016 - rating: 10
[User has posted 2090 recommendations about 2090 pubs]

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Euston Tap

A right curiosity, and one of the least likely places to find a pub (let alone one serving seven cask ales and up to 20 keg beers on draught). The small bar takes up a good part of the single-room former gatehouse (one of a pair guarding the main entrance to Euston station), with green tiling below the counter and the distinctive copper-fronted beer dispensing system behind. Just enough room for a few stools around the walls and narrow standing areas to the front and sides (where the well-stocked bottle fridges are located). There is also a compact spiral staircase leading to the additional seating in a compact lounge upstairs (where the limited toilet facilities can also be found) and a small patio beer garden on the station side. Price-wise, pints of Brew York Kiwi and The Devil Made Me Brew It stout from Arbor came it at £3.90 and £4.20 respectively on our latest visit.

On 24th September 2016 - rating: 8

Moby Duck left this review about Euston Tap

UPDATE
Like Quinno's thoughts below I to have now more than warmed to this place,an excellent pint of Cloudwater Stout was enjoyed at around the £4.00 mark,it was supposed to be the last beer of the evening but I couldnt resit a couple of halves of the ample keg offerings in the form of Sirencraft Counting Vampires and Lagunitas Born Yesterday,expensive but well worth it.Rating rises from 6 to 8.

8th September 2012
First visit yesterday after hear good things about,obviously part of the craft revolution which has yet to convince me,everything I expected small bar ect,wasn't overly busy on Friday afternoon and managed to sit at a table outside on a pleasant sunny day. A pint of Marble Lagonda ,another first for me was ok but to be honest failed to impress.Not a place I would add to a pub crawl but a place of interest to those keen on craft beers,not over expensive at £3.55 given the location,craft status and ABV of 5.1,but I am unlikely to make a special trip here again but would call in if nearby.

On 31st December 2015 - rating: 8

hondo . left this review about Euston Tap

Great use of an old building serving 27 taps (19 "craft keg" and 8 real ale). Finally made it up the spiral staircase toilets "compact and bijou" as they say ?.

On 1st October 2015 - no rating submitted

Real Ale Ray left this review about Euston Tap

We called in here first knockings, which was good as we had a good chat with the friendly manager. I was surprised to see sprinklers used on the beer taps when dispensing our ale. This was an added bonus for us Northerners as we like a bit of effervescence to our beer. We went for the Buxton Blonde and Kelham Island Riders on the Storm. They also run the Whippet in Holborn.

On 19th January 2014 - rating: 7

. Wittenden left this review about Euston Tap

Early evening on a cold dark Saturday in March. My first visit to this newly iconic temple of ale in the classical guardhouse in front of Euston Station. Like Tardis, this bar seems to pack more in than apparently possible, on this visit consisting largely of fashionable young people wearing ironic bobble hats.
As befits a craft bar, a large part of the trade seems devoted to the fizz.Damaged by Watney’s Red Barrel at a formative age, I’m unwilling to experiment with such exotic brews that were available. Perhaps I should, but life’s too short, and good beer is too precious to waste. However, the Tap stocks a decent, mainly Northern, range of the good stuff, and I enjoyed a tastey, seaweedy pint of Buxton’s Moor Top, which seemed suitably modern for the ambience .
Apart from the fact that we were about thirty years too old, I rather enjoyed this pub, with the greengrocer’s spiral stairs, the quirky bogs and the interesting beers. I don’t often find myself in this part of Town (or indeed in Town), but I’ve added it to my list of pubs near the London Termini, alongside the Harp and the Rake.

On 30th April 2013 - no rating submitted

john gray left this review about Euston Tap

Lots to like about this bar(it is not a pub).great selection of cask ales at reasonable prices.Beer condition is really good but can be a little colder than is recommended.Nice outside area if the weather is good.Very friendly staff when not busy.But the toilets are a shocker.

On 12th February 2013 - rating: 7