Pubs Galore crawls 2020 with oldboots on the Pub Forum

483 Hackney Road
E2
E2 9ED

custodian 42 left this review about The Queen Adelaide

Tired one room pub with bar to the left. No real ale at all - just keg rubbish.

On 17th September 2018 - rating: 3

Rex Rattus left this review about The Queen Adelaide

There's no real ale here, and no sign of food when I visited at about 5.30 PM on a weekday. I had a half of Charles Wells keg Triple IPA for £2.60.

It's an original pub - it even has a few etched and cut glass panels, but not in the original positions I would say. There are even a couple of the Corinthian capitalled columns of which the Victorians were so fond. On the left is a wood framed pub clock set in a wooden arch structure - again, this doesn't look to be in situ.

This is a very small single-room pub. There is a scattering of tall tables and tall stools, plus a half dozen or so normal tables with settles, normal chairs and small stools. This is a very "busy" pub as far as decor is concerned. The walls are covered with loads of prints; one has a large (fake) donkey's head on it; a shelf at frieze height has models of all kinds on it, and on a shelf above the entrance are four model crows looking down on the room. There were also one or two things on the walls that I failed to identify. It's all quite bizarre.

There was no-one else in there when I dropped in at around 5.30 PM, and no-one else had arrived by the time that I left an hour or so later. OK, Wednesday evening is not the most popular night of the week to go out to the pub (or bar), but I reckon they need a few more people in to make a go of it. I'm possibly wrong, but I thought that Hackney hipsters wouldn't flinch at having to pay a fiver or more for a pint of fairly ordinary keg beer.

On 21st December 2017 - rating: 4