Virtual Great British Beer Festival 2020 with Komakino on the Pub Forum

DE1 2QE

Page: 1 2

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Ian Mapp left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

Railway fans heaven - right down to a train engine parked in the car park.

Single long bar - 8 real ales - good music. Burton Bridge in great condition.

No reason to be late - with the huge station digital clock ticking off the minutes.

Good pub - photos at my blog - http://bit.ly/2w1lOlC

On 20th August 2018 - rating: 8

Alex Conway left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

The Alexandra Hotel Is one a small few castle Rock brewery pubs Outside of Nottingham and is their only outlet in the neighbouring city of Derby. AS you enter there are rooms on the left and right, the left being the main bar area with all the hand pulls and the right more of a lounge with only a few duplicated of the main abr. The bar is one long along shaped room with seating at the far end with the front part being more of a standing area bit also with a few tables. The walls are decorated head to foot in signs and railway memorabilia making it a very quirky and interesting place to be with lots of character. The room is all hard wood floors and it has a traditional boozer type feel to it. The bar has 9 hand pulls and a good selection of whiskeys in optics behind the bar. Being castle rock the prices were reasonable and my Harvest pale was £2.90. There was also a good selection of guest beers from the likes of Rat Brewery and Fernandes brewery as well as Elsie Mo and a seasonal from the castle rock portfolio. My beer was in good nick but seeing as it was the first warm day of the year the bar was so hot and stuffy at lunchtime so we sat outside in the concrete beer garden which was not the prettiest did the job when we got in a position to catch the sun . Overall another solid Castle rock pub and a top priority pub in derby that I can imagine is great in the evenings when a little busier as it is not the smallest so I would think it would have a great atmosphere. Not quite as good as some of the genuinely brilliant Castle rock pubs in Nottingham the Alexandra is absolutely worth a visit but I just wish they used a sparkler a little more (common complaint in derby), I just don’t like a beer as much that’s as flat as a pancake! This aside give it a try.

On 29th March 2017 - rating: 8

Quinno _ left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

Obviously been some management changes here – my end-of-crawl visit found a pub much cleaner (whilst still retaining its fairly simple alehouse feel in the front bar) and much better beer with tasting notes included – more like the pub I was promised in 2010 but didn’t deliver. My choice of Blue Monkey Infinity was in good form. Also some proper ciders available. No TVs in here - it’s a proper drinkers pub. The eclectic railway memorabilia remains, now including the startling installation of a Class 37 locomotive cab in the garden! I’d make sure to prioritise this one next time. 8.5

September 2010
The ‘one you see from the train’ and quite hyped but I must say I was very much underwhelmed. Lots of ale was available but the quality was decidedly iffy, one excellent, one mediocre and one that was, frankly, off. Perhaps I should have gone for the impressive selection continental keg and Belgian bottles instead. The pub is laid out over two rooms and quite scruffy inside. Inevitably there’s railway memorabilia amongst the décor. I whiled away the time with a few games of arrows on the well-frequented dart board. Not one I’d be rushing back to, based on this visit.

NB – between my visit and posting this review it appears that there has been a change of licensee/re-decoration. Which might explain (though not excuse) some of the above. Rated 5

On 22nd November 2015 - rating: 8

ROB Camra left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

Back again for a couple of beers before wandering off to The Brunswick. Both beers in excellent condition as usual. Castle Rock have suddenly stopped the "One Over The Eight" promotion. I had a full card from our last visit that would have given me a free pint. It's now worthless, bummer! Not the pubs fault though. Still a favourite of mine.

18/07/2014
We've called in here several times since my last review, in fact this is our first port of call every time we visit Derby. Another couple of pints this time, both in excellent condition as was Ms CAMRA's Harvest Pale. There's always a good atmosphere in here and plenty of banter. It's a very good pub.

14/04/2011
Called in again the other Friday. Had a pint of Black Country Brewery Thomas Guest Puddles and a Clarkes Classic Blonde. The other half had two halves of Harvest Gold, all excellent. The pub is under new management, the landlord used to be the chef at the Brunswick. Everything is back to normal, probably better than it's been for a while really.

13/07/2010
Great little pub owned by Castle Rock (Tynemill), which means that if you buy a Castle Rock beer you get a free pint when you've collected 8 stickers. Has a couple of their beers on plus 5/6 guests, it's always a great pint in here. Has a real fire in one room which was very welcome on Friday evening when it was pretty chilly. The other room has always been quiet or even empty whenever I've been in, but it's a decent room as well. Has 3 (I think) letting rooms upstairs. No music, conversation only, which can be very entertaining given the characters they get in here. I tried a Castle Rock Black Gold, Fyne Highlander & Ossett Yorkshire Blonde, all in great nick. Our Derby pub crawl almost always starts here and long may it continue to do so.

On 13th July 2015 - rating: 8

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

Despite having stayed here overnight previously, I have never managed to do this place justice and this time was no exception since it was very much another flying visit. However, I have - at various times - had a pint in the separate public and lounge bars (full of railway memorabilia) and the rear patio beer garden. Although describing itself as a freehouse, it does have a connection with Castle Rock and several of its beers can usually be found on the eight(?) handpumps, together with a good selection from interesting smaller breweries e.g. the Rudgate No 7 Summer Fruits (£2.80 less 20p Camra discount) on this occasion.

On 6th September 2014 - rating: 8

Aqualung . left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

This and the Brunswick were the only two pubs in Derby I had visited before apart from a Marston's pub near Friar Gate where I used to occasionally come to work many years ago.
On my visit one of the bars was closed for a private function so it probably appeared a lot busier than it actually was. The bank of eight pumps had four Castle Rock beers priced at £2.70 to £2.90 and four guests, one of which I was surprised to see was Five Points Railway Porter which like me had come all the way from East London. The other three were Notebook Arctic Tern, Green Jack Orange Wheat and Burton Bridge Hooray Henley. I went for the Hooray Henley (£3.20) and immediately wished I had chosen something else as it was quite undistinguished especially compared to so many beers tried earlier in the day.
I feel obliged to give it a 9 based on earlier visits but with one bar closed it would only have been 8. If you've got a train to catch missing out on here and the Brunswick is not a sensible option.

On 21st July 2014 - rating: 9

John Bonser left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

Update – November 2013

Went in the other bar this time – this has brewery memorabilia and posters from the likes of Marstons, Hook Norton, Adnams etc. An old price list advertises Burton brewed bitter at 7d per pint.

An interesting addition from last time is the cab from a diesel locomotive which was saved from the scrap yard by pub staff and which now sits proudly on display in one corner of the pub car park

A good range of beers were on – Castle Rock beers ( obviously ) plus other local micros, such as Shipstones. Interestingly, and not something I’ve come across before, is that the pub advertises that it accepts Wetherspoons vouchers ( is this a Tynemill policy, or an individual pub initiative, I wonder ?). The pub is a CAMRA Good Beer Guide regular.

This is a fine old school pub and well worth visiting

ORIGINAL REVIEW - APRIL 2009

Friendly, traditional 2 bar pub close to the station - you can see the pub from when you're sitting on the train.

It's a Tynemill pub, although it's much less noticeably badged as such than the New Barrack Tavern in Sheffield where I went recently.

As well as the Castle Rock beers, there were also beers on from Millstone and Oldershaw and Titanic on my recent visit.

I made the mistake of trying a half of Saltaire's Raspberry Blonde, a drink that might best be described as a "beer for drinkers who don't like beer" if you see where I'm coming from. Thankfully the Castle Rock beers were much more to my taste.

The pub is decorated in traditional style and the railway photographs will please the trainspotters amongst us ( not that I come in that category, I hasten to add ) .

You should try and do this one if at all possible - particularly if you're travelling by train, given the close proximity of the station

On 18th December 2013 - rating: 8

Mark Davey left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

All my years of working and drinking in Derby and this was the first time that I managed to visit the Alexandra. Typical Castle Rock pub with the usual Rock beers and a few that were new to me, it was nice to get some stamps on my 1 over the 8 card ready for my free christms :O). As a rail enthusiast in my childhood, it was good to see some of the relics bolted to the walls of the bar. Lots of old deisel stuff, including name plates, numbers and old station signs. will certainly call again when in derby if the place is open, which has always been it's failing in the past, or maybe just my bad timing.

On 19th April 2013 - rating: 9

Gill Smith left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

The Alex is a Castle Rock pub that is a friendly pub with a good choice of beers. Close to the Railway Station and the other great Derby pub the Brunswick. 2 rooms and a warm welcome. They give CAMRA discount and have cobs for sale on the bar. Enjoyed a couple of their guest beers from Hop Back and Amber breweries.

On 17th February 2012 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Alexandra Hotel

Very easy to find and not to be missed. Sort of pub where you're made welcome and serves some crackin beers. This is the birthplace of Derby Camra 3rd July 1974. I really enjoyed the Phoenix Brewery Monkey Town Mild. Also on Castle Rock Harvest Pale, Preservation, Elsie Mo, Oakham Bishop's Farewell, Newby Wyke The Deep and Blue Monkey BG Sips. Will call again.

On 8th January 2012 - rating: 8