Euros Prediction League with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

Blackpool
FY1 4RU

Pub Type

J D Wetherspoon

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Albert and The Lion (JD Wetherspoon)

Housed in an imposing Art Deco building right by the tower, this 'spoons is nothing like the size on might expect inside (although it still has a good amount of seating within the slightly split-level interior). Quite dark interior too, but there is also a narrow patio area out front. So-so selection from the two banks of five handpumps, with Moorhouse's Blonde Witch and Reedley Hallows Armistice Day (£2.09) being the most interesting.

On 2nd December 2018 - rating: 6

Rob Hunter left this review about The Albert and The Lion (JD Wetherspoon)

Blackpool is a funny place out of season. Places that are normally open are closed. It all feels a bit like a ghost town if you're walking up from South Shore to the centre. However you can depend on a Wetherspoon pub to be open!

As has been noted in the previous review, the real ale selection is a bit below average for a Spoons. I clocked two banks of five pumps, with the usuals duplicated across the two. This left Reedley Hallows Dark (which was actually not available), Lytham Royal, Lytham Blonde and Blueberry by Coach House.

There didn't appear to be any "coming soon" label on the Reedley Hallows Dark, but when I ordered it I was told it was off (the barmaid even pulled the pump to check) so I went for the Lytham Royal, which was OK. My pint was poured rather violently, but the barmaid did top it up without me having to ask. It didn't fully settle though and remained hazy - whether that is normal for this beer or not I don't know.

It wasn't rammed, but reasonably busy on my lunch time visit.

On 13th February 2018 - rating: 7

Aqualung . left this review about The Albert and The Lion (JD Wetherspoon)

The Albert & Lion takes up the ground floor (with basement toilets) of a former Woolworths. It's in a prime position on the seafront next to the Tower. As noted below, it's not that big for a JDW in a major town. There is an old school JDW shop conversion feel to it despite only having opened in 2010. It wasn't too busy on my January Thursday evening visit although there were some chavvy parents allowing their brats to run riot.
The bar has ten hand pumps but the choice was poor with two available soon, the JDW Trio Of Doom doubled up, Everard's Red Ale and Coach House Blueberry. I went for the Blueberry (£1.99) which was in good nick.
I didn't think much of this one but would avoid it in Summer, actually I would avoid Blackpool in Summer.

On 30th January 2017 - rating: 5

STEPHEN LODGE left this review about The Albert and The Lion (JD Wetherspoon)

Was in this pub recently and was surprised how small it was inside,I was fully expecting it to be a lot larger,so obviously due to its position on the promenade it does get very busy.

On 10th May 2016 - rating: 7

Al Bundy left this review about The Albert and The Lion (JD Wetherspoon)

Next door to Blackpool Tower. A very large looking Wethers that because of where it is can be very popular. It wasn't as big as I expected unless there are bits of it I didn't see. The main bar is at the rear of the room as you enter. There was the usual..... oh you know the score.

On 20th October 2015 - rating: 7

Anony Mous left this review about The Albert and The Lion (JD Wetherspoon)

I decided to come to this Wetherspoons for a birthday meal last night as I have been to many Wetherspoons throughout the country and have never had a problem. I appreciate that it is not a restaurant but I know Wetherspoons to serve good food at a reasonable price. 2 of my friends chose not to eat, the rest of us did not enjoy our meals. 2 of us chose lasagne with garlic bread. The lasagne was not cooked properly and the cheese was curdled (almost looking like scrambled egg) on the top. I could only stomach about half of it. They then said that they had no garlic bread so asked if chips was okay as a substitute, I agreed. My friend did not have the option as they just literally shoved the disgusting chips on to her plate. My cousin managed to get a refund for her garlic bread but she could not physically eat her spaghetti bolognese. Apparently, my friend purchased a spaghetti bolognese the week before from the same place and she could not eat hers either, as it looked and tasted disgusting. The organic tomato soup can only be described as a paste. My auntie chose to eat the mixed grill which came without mushrooms and was very dry. Another friend of mine had the steak and ale pie and chips. He could not finish his either as the pie was solid hard and had very little filling. My other half ordered the reggae reggae wrap and ended up receiving the Mexican wrap. 2 of my friends ordered burger and chips and was offered another sauce as they did not have the sauce that they asked for, then an employee managed to drop the plates all over my friends, the table and the floor. Another one of my friends ordered the steak which was not cooked to her specification. I appreciate that it sounds like I am being picky about the sauce and garlic bread, but the staff at the counter should have informed us rather than asking us when half of us already have our meals. Only 1 friend and my mum were happy with their meals, out of the 15 of us. We were discussing complaining about the food and a family nearby interrupted us to state that they was planning on complaining themselves. As we were complaining, my mother complained to a member of staff outside and he actually replied with "It doesn't matter, it won't affect our reputation as Wetherspoons has a good reputation"and the same member of staff later said "it depends what chef we've got on, to what the foods like." The manager offered us a round of drinks due to the food being so appalling; which we took. After this, we went to the toilets to discover that they were unclean and about 7 cubicles had blood in them. I used to judge Wetherspoons as a whole, I no longer will. My friends and family were all disgusted and none of us will be entering The Albert and The Lion again. This pub would get a 0 but it is getting a 2 for the manager accepting that his food was disgusting and attempting to rectify this with a round of drinks and that it is nicely decorated.

On 26th August 2010 - rating: 2

peter ashworth left this review about The Albert and The Lion (JD Wetherspoon)

This million pound Wetherspoons pub has just opened (July 2010) and is in a prime position adjacent to the tower. Called in on the second Sunday after opening at 11-30am and it was standing room only.

On 11th July 2010 - rating: 6