Going with a bang! with oldboots on the Pub Forum

Burton on Trent
DE14 3QZ

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Dog

This was not my first visit here; my first attempted visit was in 2013 when I decided not to enter when seeing a solitary Greene King IPA hand pump through the window. A couple of years later it was bought by Black Country Ales and taken to the other extreme, of numerous hand pumps offering a plethora of beers. I've been in once or twice under the new regime, and my latest visit was towards the end of a day's crawl around Burton, so my notes were a little sketchy. I count 11 hand pumps in my photo, with three BCA beers, plus two from Blue Monkey, two "locals" (Bass and Worthington White Shield) and four others (including Salopian and Navigation). I enjoyed my half of White Shield, I think only the third time I've come across this beer on draught. It has become normal in some circles to criticise pubs for having too many beers, partly because it puts pressure on competitors to have more beers on than their business can sustain, with resulting loss of quality and diminishing confidence in real ale. I have only ever been served one bad beer in a BCA pub (one that had recently reopened in Stourbridge, the Seven Stars), so I don't have a personal gripe about this. The fact that they have been using this model for several years now and doing very well suggests that they are mostly getting it right.

On 15th March 2020 - rating: 7

Quinno _ left this review about The Dog

A bit of trepidation coming back here but no sighting of pink haired girl and an experience a lot closer to other reviewers’. 11 (I think) pulls with the usual three Black Country ales plus a load of guests. The Worthington White Shield (very pleased to spot that!) was a good beer in good shape (NBSS 3.5). The pub, bizarrely, doesn’t accept copper coins. Entertainment of a sort from the guy perched at the bar who was originally from Malta who, in every conversation, loudly reminded us in case we forgot. A decent stop, this time.
Pub visited February 2020

November 2016
A relatively recent (2015) addition to the Black Country ales stable. A pretty half-timbered façade with a good position opposite the waterway. The interior is quite nicely done and cosy with a pub carpet, wallpaper, feature fireplaces, leather banquettes, square framed wood ceiling and a particularly lovely embossed lower bar front and upper back. 11 ales with Black Country on three and excellent guests including Titanic Mild. Loopy but enthusiastic pink barmaid who turned into the devil of the piece when I took back my Black Country Pig on the Wall as it was vinegar. Cue the tired old argument about there being nothing wrong with it. After I refused to budge, I was grudgingly given a Titanic Mild (which was perfectly acceptable) in exchange. A shame really, as otherwise this is a lovely little pub but the taste left in my mouth from both the beer and the barmaid’s attitude lingered for quite a while afterwards. Rated 6

On 5th March 2020 - rating: 7

Ian Mapp left this review about The Dog

Black Country Ales Pub that is a little off their normal manor.

Classic blueprint - proper pub feel, 8 hand pulls, menu on wall.

Bass in great condition.

Visit blogged at http://bit.ly/2O9rRfy

On 23rd July 2018 - rating: 7

Aqualung . left this review about The Dog

The Dog is one of the Black Country Ales estate in a town that is some distance from their home turf. Inside it's a single carpeted room that wraps itself around a central bar which has some red and black tiling by it. There is a fairly low panelled ceiling and a TV at the far left. It was being run by just one person when I arrived just after midday who had to juggle serving with taking in deliveries and getting the three unclipped hand pumps back in action.
Eight beers were on the BCA Pig On The Wall and BFG, Bass, Mallinson's Tropical Blonde, Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild, 4Ts Mango Fever, Harbour IPA and Great Heck Chopper. I went for the Mallinson's beer (£3.20) and Sarah Hughes (£3.50) both of which were excellent.
I thought this was another good BCA outlet and would happily return.

On 23rd February 2018 - rating: 8

custodian 42 left this review about The Dog

Good pub with a good range of ales, a lot from Black Country. I had Fireside @ 5% ABV. One room with the bar in the middle. Would definitely return here.

On 7th May 2017 - rating: 7

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Dog

Thankfully Quinno's pink barmaid wasn't around on our visit. There was however another good bar person, who knew about their ales and the condition it should be in. We were immediately handed some tasters, when perusing the 10 handpumps that were in operation. This BCA pub was quite busy on our Friday afternoon visit and I was pleased to see a good number of ale drinkers. The pub ceiling is building a nice collection of handpumps out front. I also thought the timber lattice work ceiling with turned block intersections in the left hand section of the lounge to be quite interesting, with cream painted boards and a maroon painted moulding. As with most BCA pubs the lower parts of the walls are lincrusta, also known as putty paper. Not an exciting range of ales on our visit, so l went for the Spire Brewery Whiter Shade, one of those ales which incorporated some wheat somewhere along the lines, my mistake.

On 17th January 2017 - rating: 7

hondo . left this review about The Dog

bought by Black Country Ales Brewery

On 21st May 2015 - no rating submitted

Thirsty Chaz left this review about The Dog

Not open 7 October 2014 and the Faire was on

On 10th October 2014 - no rating submitted

Will Larter left this review about The Dog

I contemplated popping in here on a recent visit to Burton, but a quick glance through the window showed GK IPA as the only real ale available, so I gave it a swerve.

On 30th October 2013 - no rating submitted