How much? with london calling on the Pub Forum

Belper
DE56 1BA

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Devonshire

A nice old stone building whose internal intricacies I didn't get a chance to explore, but it seems to have been extended to the rear and I understand that further similar work is planned, to provide more room for diners and consequently for cooks too. Meanwhile, there is beer from Dancing Duck, Blue Monkey and Marstons Pedigree. I went for a half each of the two Ducks: Ay Up and Dark Drake, which were both in good condition though they're by no means favourites of mine. I got a friendly welcome before I'd even entered the pub as I approached about two minutes before opening and was cordially invited to come in anyway, and service was similarly friendly and efficient. It was quite a surprise to hear Victoria Wood performing a comedy sketch when I was using the toilet facilities, and a relief to discover it was a recording rather than a resurrection.

On 10th October 2021 - rating: 7

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Devonshire

A respectable pub with quite a trendy interior, the walls were painted in a dark grey colour,blue and mustard coloured upholstered chairs, fairy lights in the original stone fireplaces and sheepskin rugs over the backs of some of the bar stools, for some reason. The main bar as you entered was the main feature and had a certain gothic look, which I liked. The low window openings and original flagstone floor gave the pub more of a cottage feel. Five ales and one cider, three ales from Dancing Duck and two from Marston's 61 Deep and Pedigree. We all went for the DCUK. There was a decent sized patio area at the rear, so we took advantage of the good weather. One of our pals told us that forty years ago you wouldn't recognise the place, especially on a Tuesday night, as it was known as topless Tuesday, when the barmaids served you your beer topless. Ha! how things have changed, can't imagine social media getting to grips with that today.

On 7th October 2019 - rating: 7