Bottled Beer Bargain Alert with london calling on the Pub Forum

The Old Hill Inn, Carnforth

Low Sleights Road (On B6255)
Chapel-le-Dale
Postal town: Carnforth
LA6 3AR

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 1 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

. Wittenden left this review about The Old Hill Inn

A stone built dales pub, partly whitewashed in bleak surroundings between Whernside and Ingleborough in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Through a wood panelled lobby area the bar is to one’s right:there are other doors opening off the lobby, though I’m unsure if they lead to further public rooms.
The bar is decorated in a plain, stripped back style, with a woodstove, upright joanna and a large dresser displaying local produce. Above the fireplace an old wagon wheel is mounted:apparently the sport was,back in the day, to take bets on who could climb through the spokes. I’m sure that Sir Winston Churchill, a notable former guest, failed this test, as I surely would.
I’m eternally grateful to this pub for introducing me to Dent Brewery’s Aviator, an incredibly tasty,marmalade driven best bitter. Also available were Thwaites Original, Tim Taylor’s Landlord, and Black sheep Best, alongside some fizzy delights.
As with many Dales pubs, food is important: I was surprised that fish was featured,until I realised that Morecambe Bay is visible from the Parish. We had a couple of good lunches mid week in October,prior to our ascent of Ingleborough which seems to rise from the back of the pub. Naturally popular with walkers and birdwatchers,the Old Hill manages to be down to earth,friendly and businesslike. Grand pub.

On 30th October 2014 - no rating submitted

Erin Martin left this review about The Old Hill Inn

A group of us came to this pub for shelter in atrocious weather conditions and were incredibly upset after being spoken to very rudely. The staff are really unhelpful, unwelcoming and confrontational. We were also singled out because we didn't have a local accent. One of our party has allergies and was assured by staff here that there was no sugar in a bottle of drink when in fact there was and they consequently had a relapse of symptoms. The toilets aren't clean and there were flies everywhere. We certainly wont be returning here.

On 5th July 2010 - rating: 1

James Joines left this review about The Old Hill Inn

Real Ales, home cooked food and accommodation.

On 23rd February 2009 - no rating submitted