Wetherspoon's news of the day with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

W4
W4 5TA
Phone: 02089952607

Pub Type

Castle (Mitchells & Butlers)

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Komakino . left this review about Crown and Anchor

This pub stands out on Chiswick High Street with its old Young's facade, but inside has a squarish bar area, followed by the remainder of the pub geared for dining. A square bar is located in the front middle of the pub and offered Sharp's Doom Bar and an OK-ish St Austell Proper Job (£4.95 for the privilege) along with two real ciders on two further stumps. Polished boards and mixture of high and low seating in the high-ceilinged bar area with some muted muzak amidst the hubbub. A score of 5 is as much for the facade than anything else.

On 5th November 2018 - rating: 5

john gray left this review about Crown and Anchor

Still major,s on food but 3 handpumps with usually a Sharps beer on. Never overly busy and now up for sale.

On 9th November 2013 - rating: 6

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Crown and Anchor

Bold yellow brick and tile exterior, with plenty of interesting reminders of its former life as a Youngs house. Unfortunately, most of the interior character has been stripped out during several refurbishments and it now has a fairly anonymous gasto-pub layout with the obligatory open kitchen, etc. However, it is quite light and airy, with some largeish windows, pale wood furniture and light pastel-shade paintwork on the walls. Nice little wood-burning stove towards the back. Two handpumps, with Purity Mad Goose and a good Adnams Irish Stout (at £3.40) on. As these sort of places go, not that bad.

On 17th March 2010 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about Crown and Anchor

I found this pub to be rather soulless and uninviting. No less than five people were using notebook computers and not drinking alcoholic drinks. There was also a largish group of mums with at least two screaming children. Personally I prefer a pub that doesn't have the appearance of being a cross between a crèche and an office. Pride and Young's Bitter on – the Young's at £3 a pint is not cheap. Looks good on the outside with an original Young's façade – but I won't be going inside again.

On 3rd November 2008 - rating: 4

Steve C left this review about Crown and Anchor

As soon as I had walked into the Crown and anchor I thought “oh dear, this is no pub with the words ‘crown' or ‘anchor' in the name that I have ever encountered before”. It was only later in my stay that I discovered that it is actually called Shackology, so everything is now clear.

I waited for a couple of minutes to be served as it was very busy with me being the only customer and 5 staff milling about the bar obviously isn't enough. When I was served it was only because one member of staff had delegated the serving of my half a Red Stripe to another. The other draught available was Kirin Ichiban and Erdinger with a token offering of ale in the form of Bombadier.

If I was the type to go out for a cup of coffee and read the morning papers, which I'm not, this is the type of place I would like, but it was nearly empty and Zizzi is just up the road and it was pretty busy.

On 24th April 2008 - rating: 4