Disappointment of the week with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

Windsor
SL4 1BG
Phone: 01753862031

Ian Mapp left this review about The Corner House

Proper pub that does what it says on the tin.... it a pub, in the corner.

Sought out as its in the Good Beer Guide 2019. Around 10 hand pulls - some local, others not so. Informed bar man helping with selection and taster available.

Decent Inspector Remorse Porter for just over £4.

Good pub.

On 2nd December 2018 - rating: 8

hondo . left this review about The Corner House

10 real ales,5 ciders and 10 keg taps. Quite a dark bare boarded interior.

On 22nd October 2018 - no rating submitted

Komakino . left this review about The Corner House

Now in the reins of the team that runs the Antelope in Surbiton, Express Tavern at Kew Bridge and Sussex Arms in Twickenham, this place has now been resurrected from its GK torpor and I was confronted by thirteen (!) handpumps all clipped up with varying beers, brewers and styles (I couldn't nerd it up and note them all). This is styled as an 'ale and cider house' and they've certainly taken the bull by the horns with regards the former - my Bingham's Coffee Stout (£4) was in great shape. Packed on an early Friday evening with a mixture of ages (always a good sign) the only drawback was the overloud muzak. I'll give them credit for only playing vinyl, but no-one wants to shout over a drink or two. There are also nine keg taps behind the bar.

On 19th January 2018 - rating: 7

Quinno _ left this review about The Corner House

Took in this one again on the behest of my companion who said “it’s changed, there’s loads of ales on, you’ll really like it”. I was immediately suspicious of the ‘loads’ part as that’s sometimes quantity over quality. And so it proved. There were at least 10 handpumps with a mix of ales and ciders in the tastefully refurbished interior. The first one I had was well past it’s best, flat as a pancake, and I took it back. The girl behind the bar gave me a lecture about “ale is meant to be flat blah blah” at which point I had to resort to the nuclear option of telling her that I have spent many years as a CAMRA member at branch committee level and that, oddly enough, I knew the difference thanks. After a swift reverse-ferret by her, the beer was changed for another which was utterly average but I couldn’t be bothered to go through the routine again. My companion managed to get a good one, so I switched to that. Noted that she didn’t take the bad one off, though I did see that as I was leaving a bloke was behind the bar changing the barrel on the offending pump – I took him to be the manager (or competent – who knows?). Subsequently I was surprised to find that this place is run by those behind the Antelope in Surbiton and Sussex Arms in Twickenham. I’d be prepared to try it again based on the good experiences I have had in their other pubs, but this one was a poor experience.

March 2014
A newly-monikered Greene King pub (was Lime Bar) which I presume to be a gay-friendly venue, as it advertises ‘camp cabaret’ with the strapline 'be free or just be'. Given the barracks are a stone’s throw away I guess are familiar with the local market?! A fairly unremarkable L shaped interior, though the intimate booth room to left of bar looked nice. Big on candles, one at every table. A large screen above an unused feature fireplace was scrolling through pub events. Muzak of choice was dubious Aerosmith tracks being piped out. I retreated upstairs to the advertised ‘decked rooftop smoking terrace’ which turned out to be very tidy and a sign on the wall promoting table-sharing was a welcome touch. At the bar, GK London Glory and Black Sheep on pump; my Black Sheep tasted rather GK-like to me but it was a decent half nonetheless. Only one other customer, must be more of an evening venue I guess. Not one I’d head back to myself but may well serve a niche locally. Rated 5

On 15th December 2017 - rating: 5

Moby Duck left this review about The Corner House

The Corner House is unsuprisingly a corner pub, apparently Greene King owned but happily for me no GK beers were in evidence, there was a choice of two,Sadlers One Stop Hop and Wold Top Keepers Light.
The U shaped room with central bar was not particularly remarkable,painted in various shades of Grey with wood flooring,Sky News was on the TV screen,muted to make way for the piped Music.There is a roof terrace/smoking area that went uninvestigated, more bar than pub and rather average despite the rather more intersting beers.

On 9th November 2016 - rating: 5