Pub Scores with london calling on the Pub Forum

Postal town: Canterbury
CT4 6TJ

Reviews Add Review see review guidelines

. Wittenden left this review about Kings Arms

An old, timber framed,tile hung pub in the secluded village square, opposite the church. A cosy, dog friendly front bar, together with a dining room to the rear.We’ve come here a few times now, as the Downs provide fine, if somewhat breezy walking .The landlord is always most welcoming, and knows his beer, now offering Harveys Sussex Best Bitter, and two from Hopdaemon-Skrimshander and Golden Braid, which was new to me.
We were here on a Sunday lunchtime, and were lucky to get a table in the dining room,busy with families and groups of perhaps walkers. I ate a rather good steak and ale pie,cut from a larger,Platonic whole, with copious vegetables. Service was youthful,friendly and efficient.As is often now the way, I bypassed the Harveys in favour of a micro: I’ve long been an admirer of Hopdaemon, and was glad to see two of their beers on handpump. Skrimshander is a fine reliable IPA, with a characteristic bisciuty malt, together with a blast of Kent hops. I’d not had Golden Braid before, and found it wonderfully citrusy-its floral aroma reminding me of the Fremlins of my youth.
We’d recommend this pub, and plan to come back in less windy weather. It also houses the Post Office a few mornings per week.

On 13th February 2011 - no rating submitted