Wetherspoon's news of the day with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

WN1 1PQ
Phone: 01942242862

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Brainy Pool left this review about John Bull Chophouse

Plenty of real ales on this time and a decent selection too. As usual this visit ended up being dominated by the jukebox which is, indeed, very good. But the regulars in here are very keen to let you know about it. you know the type that just drone on and on about the same old bands (the Jam, Stranglers, Clash etc). This tends to be interesting at first but by the end of my pint I can't wait to get out. A good pub anyway. Upstairs is now a craft beer bar at weekends.

On 18th January 2020 - rating: 7

ROB Camra left this review about The John Bull Chophouse

This is a Thwaites house selling 6 of their beers on handpump including a couple from their now parent brewer Marston's. It's a bit hard to find with the entrance being up an alley. I walked past, once in each direction before I spotted it. A bare flag floor and bare brick walls make this look "old" although I'm pretty sure the decor is fairly new. Thers's an upstairs area with a pool table and a dartboard. There's a very good jukebox downstairs which was playing the Jam, Stranglers, Clash etc during my visit. Friendly bar staff add to the positives. This is a very good pub, in fact it's probably the best Thwaites pub I've ever been in.

On 25th November 2016 - rating: 8

Aqualung . left this review about The John Bull Chophouse

I only had time for a very fleeting visit here. It doesn't look much like an original pub but is quite old inside with wooden beams and a tiled floor. It's long and narrow with a small bar at one end and a small upstairs area. There is a prominent jukebox. I found it quite dark but the wooden tables had lighted candles on them. It was fairly quiet on my Thursday evening visit.
The bar has six hand pumps which as it is a Thwaite's house had mostly their and Marston's beer, although it may be all from the same source by now. I noticed Titanic Steerage (£2.95) so thought I would give it a try as it normally flies under my beer radar. It was in excellent condition but would probably have made a better first pint of the day.
I didn't really take to this pub that much as it struck me as a late night music sort of place but would be happy to return even if just to check out the jukebox.

On 26th November 2015 - rating: 7

Al Bundy left this review about The John Bull Chophouse

A good pub that likes its rock music. 6 handpumps dispensing Thwaites beers. A rock jukebox that would be greatly enhanced with the addition of Sonic Youth and Half Man Half Biscuit tunes.

On 5th August 2015 - rating: 8

Steven Kacer left this review about The John Bull Chophouse

an excellent pub lively atmosphere

On 25th June 2009 - rating: 10

Dale Miles left this review about The John Bull Chophouse

great old breed of a pub attracts people between thirty and sixty years old, great beer and music, pool tables upstairs the atmosphere is great what more do you want from a pub?

On 14th July 2008 - rating: 8