pubs galore bar with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

Postal town: Richmond
DL11 6QG

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

. Wittenden left this review about The Farmers Arms

This refers to the situation obtaining in October 2010. We’ve visited this pub many times over the past ten years over the October half term, and have greatly enjoyed it.A stone built house, set back from the road up the Dale in a little square. Nice comforting flagstones-part of the floor carpeted, the back premises seem to be set into the slopes of Kisdon Hill. Open fires, benches, wet dogs.
This is grand walking country, so the Farmers is popular with both hikers and the determined lonely fell walker,as well as a strong local trade. Good honest food and a decent selection of beers from the area. When we first came, I was pleased to see and drink Castle Eden Ale from County Durham, as it was one of the few real ales available when I was there in the seventies.More recently,the pub has stocked beer from the innovative Yorkshire Dales Brewery from over the top in Wensleydale. On our latest visit, I followed the austere hop bomb “Muker Silver” with the epic, luscious “0ld Peculier” from our old friends in Masham.
A classic pub, one to be cherished. I understand that since our visit last year the long standing landlord has retired:the pub has been bought by a local family. I wish them well, and hope the keep up the good work.
As mentioned last year, the pub has been bought by a local couple.We visited on a lunchtime over the February halfterm:the pub was busy with families, walkers and a wake. The new owners are very committed to the pub-they’ve brightened it up, but the atmosphere is the same. Well worth a visit.

Update 30/10/18: we seem to come here most years:this time last year a new guv was being shown the ropes.All seems well, a solid pub.

Update 9/10/19. Newly (re)admitted to the Good Beer Guide,the Farmers Arms was thronged on an October rainy midweek lunchtime,and running as cheerily and efficiently as ever.Two Yorkshire Dales beers on-Buttertubs and North Grain,alongside regulars from Masham.

On 15th October 2019 - no rating submitted

aleand hearty left this review about Farmers Arms

A typical Dales village pub, in the heart of beautiful Swaledale. It’s essentially one opened up room, but there are several discernible drinking areas. It still has a traditional feel overall, despite some modernisation e.g. some of the beams above the bar have been replaced and the dreaded halogen spot lighting introduced- far too bright.

However, there is still stone flagging, a real fire, breweriana and photos of village life on the walls and tankards hanging from the beams.

There were five real ales on offer, largely dominated by the ‘Yorkshire mafia’: Theakstons ‘Best Bitter’ & ‘Old Peculier’, Black Sheep Bitter & Black Sheep Ale and Yorkshire Dales’ ‘Muker Silver’. The MS was as fresh as a daisy, if a little too cold for my palate.

The landlord was friendly and welcoming, it’s not very often you get a smile when you approach the bar these days. He obviously has a sense of humour too, as the toilets were named ‘Tups’ and ’Ewes’!

A gentle early evening buzz when we called, largely provided by ravenous walkers eating their evening meal. As we didn’t eat here I can’t comment further on the food.

Worth a visit, I’d call again if in the area.

On 13th January 2010 - rating: 7